Page 9 of 195 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Times

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armourall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvertiger View Post
    No, can’t confirm this at all. Was google searching transfer times and opening up links to various forums. One of them had a picture of a tweet making this claim. I’m not sure who the Twitter person was but there were quite a few concerning comments that followed before the thread was closed. As of this morning I can’t even load the page, so it could be total BS. But in my mind it wouldn’t surprise me if this would be how the government would act.
    This is how the $hit starts....so why start it???

In the first two weeks after the announcement there were more transfer apps than the entire previous year...according to numbers from the local CFO office in NS. Everyone is clogged up.

Got my transfer today!

June 2nd BC
    589XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by Armourall View Post
    This is how the $hit starts....so why start it???
    I agree it's just speculation, and it doesn't sound like anyone has any credible information either way, but on what basis is anyone presuming that "in progress" transfers will be completed? I'd like to be as optimistic as the rest of you, but the text of C-21 is freely available for anyone to read, and there are no clauses or exclusions that would permit that sort of a concession. Section 17 states the following:

The Act is amended by adding the following after section 12.1:
    12.2 A registration certificate for a handgun must not be issued to an individual.
    Period. Full stop. That's all it says on the matter. Once C-21 becomes law, it would literally be illegal for the RCMP to issue any new registration certificates for handguns to individuals, regardless of where they were in the process already. If the registration certificate has not yet been issued once C-21 receives Royal Assent, that's it. No more registration certificates for hand guns.

I'd love for someone to point out what I'm missing, but this isn't something they can do, unless C-21 receives some sort of amendment allowing them to finish any "in progress" applications. But today, such an exemption does not exist.

EDIT: Ignore everything I just said. Further down in the bill, section 47 says the following:

47 Section 12.2 of the Firearms Act, as enacted by section 17, does not apply in respect of a registration certificate for which an application was submitted in accordance with section 54 of that Act before the day on which that section 17 comes into force.
    So it appears that indeed, any applications that were submitted prior to C-21 becoming law can indeed be completed. In fact, the legislation seems very clear on this matter. Why has there been so much confusion and speculation up until now when it was right there in front of us?
    Last edited by Kombatnt; 08-05-2022 at 03:04 PM. Reason: I was wrong

Jeez so they're just now approving transfers initiated like 3-4 days after the announcement two months later

Quote Originally Posted by Kombatnt View Post
    EDIT: Ignore everything I just said. Further down in the bill, section 47 says the following:

So it appears that indeed, any applications that were submitted prior to C-21 becoming law can indeed be completed. In fact, the legislation seems very clear on this matter. Why has there been so much confusion and speculation up until now when it was right there in front of us?
    Well that's a relief, I know a few stores nearby to me who've told me that from what they've heard, all in process transfers will be approved. I myself was a little sceptical think perhaps they were just saying that so sell guns on a prayer theyd go through

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Inputting transfers at the store used to take us a minute or two. The system has been so bogged down, it's taking 20-30 minutes to input, and that's if it doesn't just hang, and you don't have to start all over. I can only imagine the CFO offices are chained to the same pathetic server/system. Now, figure that they've had a few years worth of transfer requests, and multiply that by 10 times to account for the lag time in the system. I have a personal transfer that was put in June 14th. I'm not holding my breath that I'll see it before Christmas.

CGN Regular
    Thank you.👏👏👏

I purchased a pair of revolvers early June. The seller tried for several days to initiate a transfer but could not get through. He then received information that we could email the transfer in, which was done and then notification came that they were not responding to emails and the transfer application had to be faxed in by the buyer. Which I did, and then we waited.
    Finally last week the transfer came through and the items were shipped to and received by me. This was a private transaction and it took almost 8 weeks. Business transactions I believe get priority.

Newbie here
    Purchased first one May 31 5893xxx
    Got nothing yet