Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dillon Precision Products - Now Available!

One tip I would have for those who want to start reloading off of progress press is to make sure there is powder inside the case before seating bullet. It happens far more times for beginners. You don’t want to end up with squibs, then turn into a catastrophic explosion after firing the next chambered round.
    For Dillons that auto index (ie. xl650/750,1050 etc), make sure you check after the powder station for no charge/ double charge.
    I would recommend the Dillon 750 for the average pistol reloder. I can’t imagine cranking out round on a single stage press.
    Blue train all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    Realistically, question to those who have been reloading, how much money you save for an example on reloading 1000 rounds of 9mm vs buying? Can you share? I am considering buying reloading equipments.

Save lots, that's if you had the foresight to buy primers at $40/1000 and have 10,000 on hand. save lots if you cast and get your lead for free. Powder @ $40/lb. Brass free from range pick up. So seeing that there is 7000 grains per pound. My load is 4.2gr of Titegroup with a 124gr cast bullet. 7000/4.2=1666 rounds per pound. So if my math is correct $40 in primers, $25 in powder, maybe $4 in bullet lube totaling $69 for a 1000 9mm. Yup I say it's worth it. Bought my Dillons 550's in the late 80's for under $300 if I remember correctly. Now if you have to pay current prices. $125-ish for primers, $125 for plated bullets, $60 for a pound of powder, and about a grand in reloading equipment probably not, YMMV

CGN Regular
    1,000 rounds of 124g 9mm: 124g cast bullets using wheel weights with powder coating - more or less free but time consuming; one pound of titegroup is $50 and yields 1,700 rounds or about $30 per 1,000; 1,000 primers is about $120; and brass is free. Total cost for 1,000 is about $150.

You will need to invest in reloading equipment. The cost of which you recoup over time.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armourall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmaple View Post
    1,000 rounds of 124g 9mm: 124g cast bullets using wheel weights with powder coating - more or less free but time consuming; one pound of titegroup is $50 and yields 1,700 rounds or about $30 per 1,000; 1,000 primers is about $120; and brass is free. Total cost for 1,000 is about $150.

You will need to invest in reloading equipment. The cost of which you recoup over time.
    This, but I add Campro 124 HP's at around $130 taxes in /1000 so I'm looking at close to $.28 or so/shot (in production optics division - minor). I have lots of primers that I didn't spend $120 on, but if you're starting up - this is what it will cost (approximately) once the press is paid for!

My big thing is that I'm loading for Open division. You can't purchase what you need for this division off the loaded ammunition shelf in any quantity and therefore must load for it. Being able to adjust your round is awesome and a necessary requirement in many cases.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourall View Post
    This, but I add Campro 124 HP's at around $130 taxes in /1000 so I'm looking at close to $.28 or so/shot (in production optics division - minor). I have lots of primers that I didn't spend $120 on, but if you're starting up - this is what it will cost (approximately) once the press is paid for!

My big thing is that I'm loading for Open division. You can't purchase what you need for this division off the loaded ammunition shelf in any quantity and therefore must load for it. Being able to adjust your round is awesome and a necessary requirement in many cases.
    Open division has the same power factor (PF) for Minor/major as other divisions. 9mm is essentially a minor PF round. 4.0 grains of titegroup is as high as you should go for a 124g bullet. It makes minor comfortably - about 135 PF. Using other powders won't make a lot of difference.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armourall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmaple View Post
    Open division has the same power factor (PF) for Minor/major as other divisions. 9mm is essentially a minor PF round. 4.0 grains of titegroup is as high as you should go for a 124g bullet. It makes minor comfortably - about 135 PF. Using other powders won't make a lot of difference.
    Using Titegroup in a ported pistol is not safe as this powder doesn't create the gasses needed to operate the comp the way it should be. I use Autocomp (there are others as well) to do this - around 6.8 grains as the power factor for open division is 160 (however this load creates a higher PF). I use Titegroup for minor PF, never major. TG burns too fast. The amount of powder you would need to get the gun to create 160 PF would either blow it up or the bullet wouldn't seat. Either way, not happening.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Save lots, that's if you had the foresight to buy primers at $40/1000 and have 10,000 on hand. save lots if you cast and get your lead for free. Powder @ $40/lb. Brass free from range pick up. So seeing that there is 7000 grains per pound. My load is 4.2gr of Titegroup with a 124gr cast bullet. 7000/4.2=1666 rounds per pound. So if my math is correct $40 in primers, $25 in powder, maybe $4 in bullet lube totaling $69 for a 1000 9mm. Yup I say it's worth it. Bought my Dillons 550's in the late 80's for under $300 if I remember correctly. Now if you have to pay current prices. $125-ish for primers, $125 for plated bullets, $60 for a pound of powder, and about a grand in reloading equipment probably not, YMMV
    Once again, the question for casting is how much do you value your time? Add in the mess and constraints imposed by cast lead ammo, I’d rather just spend an hour at work and buy plated/jacketed. But then I’m fortunate to actually enjoy my job.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    I've never got into casting for the reasons you mention above, but I get that some people do it not to save money, but to to have that skillset / tool set and give them the capability of being more or less self sufficient in this regard.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    I've never got into casting for the reasons you mention above, but I get that some people do it not to save money, but to to have that skillset / tool set and give them the capability of being more or less self sufficient in this regard.
    Agreed. Great knowledge to have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123