Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Import Already Registered Firearms Now?

How Can I Import Already Registered Firearms Now?

I have two handguns (one is a frame), registered with certificates to me that I don't know how to bring in anymore can any one tell me who is importing?
    I called most places including IRG, PR, and various 3rd party shippers but everyone notes that the already stopped importing way before the ban is implemented. I just don't know what to do as I can't drive them across the border since I'm not a registered broker/agent. I did try to PM IRG just now, I am hoping that they reach out in time and are able to solve this problem.

I'm so frustrated that they gave us almost NO time to manage this, not to mention that the guns I registered were submitted in MAY and the RCMP dragged their heels to register them at the last possible minute even after calling them 3 times a week to follow up and just emailed me on a Saturday to tell me I'm "good to go".

The only thing that gives me some solace is that the RCMP agent is friends with someone at GAC and confirmed via email that all guns registered before the ban will be approved for import. However, if no one is importing, how can I complete this transaction?!

If anyone out there feels my pain and knows something that might help, please let me know!

I appreciate any info/help! Stay strong guys.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Has anyone successfully drove their purchase over the border. What was the process, which forms did you have and what was your experience. If I ever get this to work, I'm doing a complete "HOW TO" - It's crazy that there isn't a step-by-step for this process, very confusing for the average person to follow.
    Last edited by Doglasa; 08-13-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Could you just fly down and pick it up?

CGN Regular
    Handgun ban is meant to be in effect until the registration transfer freeze is enacted. So, one would assume if the registration is already in your name, that after the import band expires at that point it could be brought into the country and put into your possession.

Non US residents (alien) cannot take possession of a firearm. Unless i have US citizenship this would be illegal as far as my research goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffhere View Post
    Handgun ban is meant to be in effect until the registration transfer freeze is enacted. So, one would assume if the registration is already in your name, that after the import band expires at that point it could be brought into the country and put into your possession.
    Yeah, here's hoping... Unfortunately, until they make an official statement it's up in the air.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pcvando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doglasa View Post
    Non US residents (alien) cannot take possession of a firearm. Unless i have US citizenship this would be illegal as far as my research goes.

This is incorrect, you may own a firearm, and possess it in the U.S. without being a citizen of that country. There are however certain other requirements that must be met. Each state varies somewhat as well.

Milton Ontario Canada / Cottonwood Arizona
    The (alien ) this is a bad term used for illegals term does not apply after you have moved to the US and hold a Permanent Resident Card with a US Residence ( Green Card ) you can buy sell trade after that and i am still a Canadian.
    This applies to me in Arizona i have no restrictions, show your State Drivers Lic. pay and you are good to go shooting that day.

Quote Originally Posted by old-zedar View Post
    The (alien ) this is a bad term used for illegals term does not apply after you have moved to the US and hold a Permanent Resident Card with a US Residence ( Green Card ) you can buy sell trade after that and i am still a Canadian.
    This applies to me in Arizona i have no restrictions, show your State Drivers Lic. pay and you are good to go shooting that day.
    I pulled that term from the global affairs website, the exact text is:

Q3. I want to go to the US and buy a firearm and return with it to Canada.

A3. The US passed new legislation in February 2003 which makes it illegal for a ‘non-resident alien’ to come into possession of a firearm in the US. This does not apply to antiques or muzzle-loading firearms, nor does it apply to Canadians with legal residency in the US or to US citizens, regardless of their residency. A Canadian may purchase a firearm in the US but cannot take possession of it, nor can they export it from the US. The only legal method is to come back to Canada and follow the steps in Question 1 (above).

LINK: https://www.international.gc.ca/cont....aspx?lang=eng

A3. The US passed new legislation in February 2003 which makes it illegal for a ‘non-resident alien’ to come into possession of a firearm in the US. This does not apply to antiques or muzzle-loading firearms, nor does it apply to Canadians with legal residency in the US or to US citizens, regardless of their residency. A Canadian may purchase a firearm in the US but cannot take possession of it, nor can they export it from the US. The only legal method is to come back to Canada and follow the steps in Question 1 (above).

There is an exception : if the (legal) non resident alien holds a valid hunting license, they may be allowed to take possession of a handgun or rifle. Better to look directly at the source (US gov website instead of Canadian) :

“ An alien legally in the U.S. is not prohibited from purchasing firearms unless the alien is admitted into the U.S. under a nonimmigrant visa and does not meet one of the exceptions as provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as possession of a valid hunting license or permit.”

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...chase-firearms

You’re not allowed to export it from the US legally according to US law.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...alien/download
    https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast