Qbu88?

5k is a crazy amount of money for something that could be taken away at the stroke of a pen. Small batches might be able to be sold to high end collectors that have a lot of money. The average Canadian shooter, especially considering the current political climate would not be interested at that price point.

There seems to be quite a difference in ideology between ontarians and albertans.

In fact the accuracy is not that bad at 100 and 300 yards. Especially with its own low magnification optic. Cheers!
H5tFo.md.jpeg
H5O99.md.jpeg
H5cuH.md.jpeg

Last edited:
I just want to point out TI that when you tried to sell the QBU-88 previously nobody knew at the time that it was a proven military designated marksman rifle that is still in use.

In 2011 the QBU-88 was never heard of due to it not being seen often in pop culture or the internet. In fact many Canadian firearms owners at that time did not have access to high speed internet would have been apprehensive even buying Chinese firearms.

Since 2011 there is more press on this rifle due to its appearance in social media and video games. It would be the only military DMR that Canadians could own. You would easily sell them at $4000+ tax a piece.

Maybe buy a few of them instead of 25 million Turkish shotguns that people get bored of quickly. Just my two cents though there is nothing interesting on the Canadian firearms market anymore other than the Type 81.

Just my 2 cents, I might be interested in purchasing one. But ofc, TI might not be able to do this on a trust me bro. Maybe give it a shot like how TI pulled off the first batch of type 81. I remember I waited for years after purchase before I received my gun.

Can we cool it on the “I will pay anything for a semi rifle trend” The lower the price, the more people can enjoy these rifles. We have so few reliable semi options now. Businesses can make up for lower profit margins by selling volume, as well as have increased demand for ammo and accessories. Shooting sport in Canada grows.

Can we cool it on the “I will pay anything for a semi rifle trend” The lower the price, the more people can enjoy these rifles. We have so few reliable semi options now. Businesses can make up for lower profit margins by selling volume, as well as have increased demand for ammo and accessories. Shooting sport in Canada grows.
I think $5000 for a QBU-88 is actually a reasonable price. Especially if it came with the actual scope that is commonly used in China plus some really interesting accessories from Norinco it’s a huge collectors piece, and Canadians now know that Chinese military firearms are more durable and more reliable than anything that Kodiak defence, BCL or raven are putting out. I’m sure that there are a lot of Canadian Norinco collectors now haha. That’s a perfectly reasonable price and I’m sure that Norinco would be able to work something out.

I wish that Canadian importers were more upfront about how they go about communicating with Norinco and getting rifles like this imported. Promoting the QBU-88 rifles doing interviews with Norinco engineers and designers and posting those interviews on the TI YouTube channel would have the rifles all sold during pre order in 5 seconds due to the publicity. Especially if you showed the manufacturing process.

TI should think outside the pre 2010 box. I would love to understand the process as China kind of seems like a mystery to me as to how we get their rifles here. Also TI for years tried to sell a bullpup $10,000 50 BMG and I would assume that for all extensive purposes that that project was a failure. However a $4000 sniper rifle would not be that’s a given especially with the success of the Type 81 and Type 97. You could even import a few in 5.8x42mm and those would sell out quickly. That is of course if you also import surplus 5.8x42mm.

Anyone else agree or am I crazy?

Last edited:
I think $5000 for a QBU-88 is actually a reasonable price. Especially if it came with the actual scope that is commonly used in China plus some really interesting accessories from Norinco it’s a huge collectors piece, and Canadians now know that Chinese military firearms are more durable and more reliable than anything that Kodiak defence, BCL or raven are putting out. I’m sure that there are a lot of Canadian Norinco collectors now haha. That’s a perfectly reasonable price and I’m sure that Norinco would be able to work something out.

I wish that Canadian importers were more upfront about how they go about communicating with Norinco and getting rifles like this imported. Promoting the QBU-88 rifles doing interviews with Norinco engineers and designers and posting those interviews on the TI YouTube channel would have the rifles all sold during pre order in 5 seconds due to the publicity. Especially if you showed the manufacturing process.

TI should think outside the pre 2010 box. I would love to understand the process as China kind of seems like a mystery to me as to how we get their rifles here. Also TI for years tried to sell a bullpup $10,000 50 BMG and I would assume that for all extensive purposes that that project was a failure. However a $4000 sniper rifle would not be that’s a given especially with the success of the Type 81 and Type 97. You could even import a few in 5.8x42mm and those would sell out quickly. That is of course if you also import surplus 5.8x42mm.

Anyone else agree or am I crazy?
I guess I just miss the days where you could buy a decent AR for $700. Don’t mind me lol

In 2011 the QBU-88 was never heard of due to it not being seen often in pop culture or the internet. In fact many Canadian firearms owners at that time did not have access to high speed internet would have been apprehensive even buying Chinese firearms.

Since 2011 there is more press on this rifle due to its appearance in social media and video games. It would be the only military DMR that Canadians could own. You would easily sell them at $4000+ tax a piece.

I dunno man, ACR sold gangbusters from being in Call of Duty.

QBU-88 was in 5 battlefield games from 2005-2011, as well as Ghost recon 1-2 (2006/7) thats not Call of duty numbers but those games were big at the time.

I dunno man, ACR sold gangbusters from being in Call of Duty.

QBU-88 was in 5 battlefield games from 2005-2011, as well as Ghost recon 1-2 (2006/7) thats not Call of duty numbers but those games were big at the time.
It just seems like the easiest thing to import is the QBU-88 since there is already an existing FRT for it. And if tactical imports actually got surplus QBU-88s in 5.8x42 they would be extremely popular. People would have lots of fun trying out the new round and using the surplus ammunition. I think China would sell them off at a greatly reduced price since they aren’t needed anymore. I don’t think that China has any issue with exporting 5.8x42 but I maybe wrong.

It just seems like the easiest thing to import is the QBU-88 since there is already an existing FRT for it. And if tactical imports actually got surplus QBU-88s in 5.8x42 they would be extremely popular. People would have lots of fun trying out the new round and using the surplus ammunition. I think China would sell them off at a greatly reduced price since they aren’t needed anymore. I don’t think that China has any issue with exporting 5.8x42 but I maybe wrong.

They won’t export. It’s under the guise of the round being so super awesome that they don’t want it copied, but the real reason is to stop/reduce corrupt officers from selling off their ammo. If there are no guns outside of China that are chambered in 5.8, then there would be no demand outside of China for large quantities of 5.8 ammo.

Oh my god Yes!!!

Thank you TI for doing this! I am so hyped. Even if they don't got any discounted NOS please let me know if you end up getting a quote for a new one in 5.56 (or even in 5.8 though I don't think they'd ship those overseas).

Back
Top Bottom