Qbu88?

We'll put some feelers out there, maybe they have some discounted NOS sitting around
Let us know how it goes. A lot of companies are not very open with the community on the process or what reasonable expectations are. Is it possible to import 5.8x42 ammunition? Has TI ever tried this?

I would get one too. Would go well with the t97 especially if the QBU is going to be in 5.56
Would you buy a surplus QBU-88 chambered in 5.8x42mm? Maybe TI could bring in the ammo at like $300 for 1000 rounds lol. I don’t know I think that would just be so cool. If the surplus QBU-88s were relatively cheap $2000 or so then the 5.8x42 version would be okay. But if the surplus ones go for $6000 CAD and are chambered in 5.8 then that’s a little steep.

It has nothing to do with corrupted officers selling ammo. The chinese in the 90's and even now were all about being self sufficient in military hardware. some of these ideas are just misguided. To put it simply, it is the same mentality the USMC emblems the anchors in Marpat and the CF puts in little maple leafs in the new multipat. It is all about "this is my unique stuff". There is nothing special about 5.8. Small arms ammo is like the cheapest and most insignificant thing in the entire military machine but it receives the most attention from the general public because it is easy to grasp. It is perceived to be the easiest thing to make, and why everyone wants to have their own small arms manufacturing. It is building defence capability 101.

And also the fact that a lot of foreign militaries do not want to buy a chinese only calibre because they want options to buy from other people. Chinese is a great supplier, but people don't exactly want to have only one supplier either. When they build a factory, they also want to make something that they can sell to others. chinese only small arms munition is not exactly attractive in the world military market.

The chinese has everything to sell, selling 5.8 is not exactly necessary

It has nothing to do with corrupted officers selling ammo. The chinese in the 90's and even now were all about being self sufficient in military hardware. some of these ideas are just misguided. To put it simply, it is the same mentality the USMC emblems the anchors in Marpat and the CF puts in little maple leafs in the new multipat. It is all about "this is my unique stuff". There is nothing special about 5.8. Small arms ammo is like the cheapest and most insignificant thing in the entire military machine but it receives the most attention from the general public because it is easy to grasp. It is perceived to be the easiest thing to make, and why everyone wants to have their own small arms manufacturing. It is building defence capability 101.

And also the fact that a lot of foreign militaries do not want to buy a chinese only calibre because they want options to buy from other people. Chinese is a great supplier, but people don't exactly want to have only one supplier either. When they build a factory, they also want to make something that they can sell to others. chinese only small arms munition is not exactly attractive in the world military market.

The chinese has everything to sell, selling 5.8

Do you think that the QBU-88 will have more interest than it did in 2011? I think it all comes down to marketing as I stated before and how many accessories TI brings in. It’s unusual it’s something new and it’s in a reasonably inexpensive calibre compared to 308. It’s not your standard AR-180 that everyone has now. If you look at the American firearms market people are craving rifles that are straight from a modern military unmolested (or almost unmolested). For example look at FNs M249s, FNs take on their military pattern AR variant and the success of the Bren 2 imports. Collecting modern military rifles is a very popular habit among firearms owners.

Last edited:
I think it will be more successful since I didn’t even know TI existed back in 2011 (nor that they brought in QBU88).

There’s also a lack of quality semis and I really think chinese firearms manufacturers have really proven themselves with the Type 97 and Type 81 in recent years. As a military DMR it would have appeal for sure.

I think it will be more successful since I didn’t even know TI existed back in 2011 (nor that they brought in QBU88).

There’s also a lack of quality semis and I really think chinese firearms manufacturers have really proven themselves with the Type 97 and Type 81 in recent years. As a military DMR it would have appeal for sure.
I am though having a hard time understanding why the QBU-88 is so much more expensive to manufacture compared to the Type 97 or Type 81. I mean those two rifles sell between $1000 - $2000 max. I don’t understand why a QBU-88 would be more than $4000 to sell. I guess you’d have to ask Norinco that question

There’s also a lack of quality semis and I really think chinese firearms manufacturers have really proven themselves with the Type 97...

Shame that the supply of importable Type 97's seems to have dried up years ago. Or, if not dried up, the desire of importers to bring them in

Shame that the supply of importable Type 97's seems to have dried up years ago. Or, if not dried up, the desire of importers to bring them in
Am I crazy or something. Wouldn’t you guys find new imports of Type 97s and QBU-88s far more interesting than a Turkish double barrel shotgun? Why are companies importing so many shotguns and not interesting military rifles from Norinco.

The Type 97 Gen 1 is my favourite just because it has the classic lines of the QBZ-95. Not as practical but very handsome looking. Gen 1 maybe a collectors piece now.

And here’s another random question. I loved the first import of Type 81s with the light weight barrel and folding stock. Why did importers make an LMG version and SR version when the best version was the classic version that was first imported?

I am though having a hard time understanding why the QBU-88 is so much more expensive to manufacture compared to the Type 97 or Type 81. I mean those two rifles sell between $1000 - $2000 max. I don’t understand why a QBU-88 would be more than $4000 to sell. I guess you’d have to ask Norinco that question
Without knowing how the sausage is made, and just assuming things are roughly is 1:1 with the process then vs now, I think it would end up being more than that. The original 2011 price tag adjusted for inflation alone would be just over $4000, and China's labour cost index has gone up a bit since then too.

Without knowing how the sausage is made, and just assuming things are roughly is 1:1 with the process then vs now, I think it would end up being more than that. The original 2011 price tag adjusted for inflation alone would be just over $4000, and China's labour cost index has gone up a bit since then too.
Honestly 4000 for a rifle + scope isn’t terrible. They could probably cut the cost down by not bundling the scope (like they did with T81SR). And also, they don’t have to do public sales. Just sell on a pre order only basis, no risk.

Edit: Also we don’t know if economies of scale has allowed norinco to cut down on price in ten years.

Honestly 4000 for a rifle + scope isn’t terrible. They could probably cut the cost down by not bundling the scope (like they did with T81SR). And also, they don’t have to do public sales. Just sell on a pre order only basis, no risk.

Edit: Also we don’t know if economies of scale has allowed norinco to cut down on price in ten years.
The last one I can find sold for 10k+ so yes

Anyone hear any more on the Type 07 that is supposed to be imported by the way?

They really need a non restricted version or they won’t sell well I would guess.

Attachments

• 2BA4DE0F-A2CB-4D4E-BA8E-3747C330F76D.jpeg
    2BA4DE0F-A2CB-4D4E-BA8E-3747C330F76D.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 61
I just want normal type 81 folders. Not trash light wood with mismatched colours, Not lmgs, not ####ty special red versions with lower qc, not poorly designed snipers, not under folders that are clearly repurposed snipers, just a NORMAL military type 81. But for some reason someone at TI has a hard-on for not importing them.

And ti's bs excuse of the plant isn't making them anymore is laughable, so they will make a completely new design a heavy barrel under folder but not a cheap existing one. Yeah ok.

I just want normal type 81 folders. Not trash light wood with mismatched colours, Not lmgs, not ####ty special red versions with lower qc, not poorly designed snipers, not under folders that are clearly repurposed snipers, just a NORMAL military type 81. But for some reason someone at TI has a hard-on for not importing them.

And ti's bs excuse of the plant isn't making them anymore is laughable, so they will make a completely new design a heavy barrel under folder but not a cheap existing one. Yeah ok.
I’m glad I pre ordered a classic side folder back in the day : )

I handled a friends fixed stock version that has a very heavy barrel. Not the LMG version it’s something else. Anyways it weighs so much more than the older ones that we had imported. I really don’t understand why they made all these different versions. I think it shows how flexible Norinco must be. They could definitely get QBU-88s imported here. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Norinco has 100s of 5.56 QBUs in storage.

Id be interested in the 5.56 version being brought in again. If its 5k so be it. I rather pay 5k for something cool than a b&t apc brick. A 25 inch barrel 556 rifle would extract all value out of any 556 load you can pick up.

Id be interested in the 5.56 version being brought in again. If its 5k so be it. I rather pay 5k for something cool than a b&t apc brick. A 25 inch barrel 556 rifle would extract all value out of any 556 load you can pick up.
I second this. Well worth the money and many years of enjoyment using one I’m sure. It’s also extremely cool looking

Let's talk about some interesting stories.
Although it is hard to say what the 5.56 version of the Type 88 sniper rifle sold to southeast asian countries in the early years was called, the actual model of the "Type 97 sniper rifle" sold to the Canadian civilian market was not "QBU97", but "NQU03". The reason why it was specially renamed "Type 97", was deliberately made to form the relationship with the type 97 rifle. The lab was deceived by this, and really thought it was a sub-model of the 97, so the first batch was put on sale without much inspection.
After the sale, they realized that something was "wrong" (the 88 sniper is actually based on the SVD, and the ridiculous regulations prohibit the sale of SVD and its derivative models). At this time, dozens of them had been sold. Some said that more than 30 were sold, and many others are still in the dealer's warehouse and cannot be sold). This is why the emergency stop was made.
In 2014, domestic exporters planned to repeat the same trick and renamed the type 97 rifle to NQZ03, intending to make the type 03 rifle family to get through again (however, they did not even change the receiver inscription this time), but the lab would not fall for the trick a second time.
By the way, the plastic parts of the NQU03 exported to Canada did come from an early batch of 88 sniper rifles that were scrapped due to improper storage. This is why the plastic parts and receiver S/N on some guns are not matching.

Back
Top Bottom