Thread: Pencil profile barrels for WK?

Pencil profile barrels for WK?

Any plans to bring back the pencil profile barrels in 5.56 for the WK? Even a fluted barrel would be great.

I would like the weight saving of a pencil barrel, I do wonder about the pencil barrel playing nice with the motion of the piston. Maybe a heavy barrel right up to the gas block for rigidity then pencil the rest of the way?
    entitlement

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Manback View Post
    I would like the weight saving of a pencil barrel, I do wonder about the pencil barrel playing nice with the motion of the piston. Maybe a heavy barrel right up to the gas block for rigidity then pencil the rest of the way?
    That could be an issue. I like your idea, it’s almost like the faxon gunner profile but with a carbine gas. I’d buy one so fast

Quote Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
    That could be an issue. I like your idea, it’s almost like the faxon gunner profile but with a carbine gas. I’d buy one so fast
    My barrel shoots very nice but I would replace it to get rid of some weight, especially at the business end.
    entitlement

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
    Any plans to bring back the pencil profile barrels in 5.56 for the WK? Even a fluted barrel would be great.
    Just trying to find a good machine shop that can do them for us. So it will be awhile still unfortunately
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

Quote Originally Posted by True North Arms Corp View Post
    Just trying to find a good machine shop that can do them for us. So it will be awhile still unfortunately
    Thanks for the reply. I’ll wait impatiently until then

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    What is the weight of a pencil barrel compared to a standard heavy barrel ?
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Quote Originally Posted by #1bcshooter View Post
    What is the weight of a pencil barrel compared to a standard heavy barrel ?
    I took my barrel off tonight just to see. It was exactly 1kg (2.2lbs). I’d say a pencil profile from ahead of the gas block would be the ticket, as the piston would put some flex on the barrel when cycling, so keeping the girth behind the gas block is likely necessary. That being said, I think a pencil profile like mentioned above would be sub 2lb, and better balance the entire rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    I think they could go behind the gas pot as well like the did on the 300 ACC blackout barrel they make
    https://truenortharms.com/ar15_defau...nd-pencil.html
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

I’d like to see the accuracy difference between the barrels slimed behind the gas block and those that aren’t. The piston isn’t as forgiving as a DI gun, but if it’s not affected and maintains accuracy that would be quite a bit more weight savings