Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC Carbine in 5.7

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman.ca View Post
    Really looking forward to this one…5.7x28 is a fascinating cartridge.
    Ballistically it's pretty darn close to 22mag - with a 30gr bullet the 5.7 is something like 100fps faster. But it's got centrefire reliability, it's reloadable, and it's got panache.

If I had more money I would have bought a Ruger 57 in the last few months, at which point buying this would be a no brainer...

Edit - its more like 500fps difference. See post 17 for context.
    Last edited by Suther; 09-19-2022 at 06:31 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

make a fun coyote gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I like the look and concept, but I'm not sold on 5.7x28 LC. Maybe sometime down the line it will be in something else and maybe I'll think about it.

CGN Regular
    Yup I'd like to see these here. Would be a handy one to have.
    YEA BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Ribstaylor View Post
    I like the look and concept, but I'm not sold on 5.7x28 LC. Maybe sometime down the line it will be in something else and maybe I'll think about it.
    It looks to me like they took their 57 pistol as a starting point, almost like they took the frame of the 57 pistol and built a carbine upper to go where the slide normally would.

Would be sweet to see this come out in some other calibers - having the magazine in the grip shortens the whole gun and should help balance the gun better than the PC9 which has everything forward of the pistol grip - but I'm not sure if that'll be possible due to the magazine dimensions, they look to be long and skinny compared to most other calibers.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Ballistically it's pretty darn close to 22mag - with a 30gr bullet the 5.7 is something like 100fps faster. But it's got centrefire reliability, it's reloadable, and it's got panache.

If I had more money I would have bought a Ruger 57 in the last few months, at which point buying this would be a no brainer...
    It's more powerful than a 22 mag. Much higher velocity. I'm definitely in if we can get these up here in the communist north.
    Last edited by jperos; 09-19-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    In Glock We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by jperos View Post
    It's considerably more powerful than a 22 mag. Much higher velocity. I'm definitely in if we can get these up here in the communist north.
    I did a bit more digging and you are correct. The sources I used for my original comparison were using wildly different barrel lengths. Doing some more digging this is what I've found:

From a 16" barrel the 5.7x28 will propel a 35gr bullet to 2500-2600fps.
    From a 16" barrel the 22 mag will propel a 40gr bullet to 1800+fps, and 2200+ with a 30gr bullet. Average those out, and 35gr bullets should be in the ballpark of 2000fps I would think.

So it basically sits right in between the 22 Hornet (35gr @ ~3000fps) and the 22 mag. If I lived somewhere rural where shooting varmints off the back porch was a thing, this gun would be high on my list.

is it reloadable? i was about to get one when i searched reloading these things. apparently there is a coating on the case that can't be replaced. so, can't wash the brass (except in dish soap) and only certain dies will work without stripping the coating off. at which point it is a whole lot of failure to extract.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post

Edit - its more like 500fps difference. See post 17 for context.

Definitely going to be on my radar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Petrock's Avatar
    At $1000 USD MFRP I couldn't do it. It's a shame, in NR I would love to have had one.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast