Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC Carbine in 5.7

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by the radium king View Post
    is it reloadable? i was about to get one when i searched reloading these things. apparently there is a coating on the case that can't be replaced. so, can't wash the brass (except in dish soap) and only certain dies will work without stripping the coating off. at which point it is a whole lot of failure to extract.
    From my research the coating is only for feeding reliably in p90 mags since the mag has to rotate the case 90 degrees in the magazine where in pistol mags its just feeding the cartridge from the mag like any other cartridge so a coating isn’t needed

odd. i'd read that people who'd reloaded and stripped the coating were getting failure to extract - brass sticking in chamber. darn; the chances of me getting a matching ruger 5.7 pistol to go with it seem long gone now ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the radium king View Post
    odd. i'd read that people who'd reloaded and stripped the coating were getting failure to extract - brass sticking in chamber. darn; the chances of me getting a matching ruger 5.7 pistol to go with it seem long gone now ...
    Actually I could see that being a thing. Unless the schematic on Wiki is wrong it has zero taper in the case, which is not a good feature for extraction but is necessary to fit 50 cartridges into a straight magazine.

Some googling suggests the coating is required for reliable ejection in the Ruger 57, not just reliable feeding from the ps90 mag.
    Last edited by Suther; 10-12-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

The coating is really only needed if you are loading to full power. If you are loading for fun and plinking you just need to down load a bit until extraction becomes reliable.
    (>​_o)┏━ ~~~~~~~⊃

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Petrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish-Jack View Post
    The coating is really only needed if you are loading to full power. If you are loading for fun and plinking you just need to down load a bit until extraction becomes reliable.
    if you're going to download the ctge, you might as well stick to .22Mag.
    Doesn't matter, anymore. We're only good for filling sandbags for floods and saving people during winter storms. Other-wise we're kicking posts and crazies who are over worked, over taxed, underpaid and never truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrock View Post
    if you're going to download the ctge, you might as well stick to .22Mag.
    You can't reload 22 mag as easily.
    (>​_o)┏━ ~~~~~~~⊃

You can't reload 22 mag as easily.
    Plus you know, if you've already got a gun that shoots 5.7 then that isn't exactly a solution...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Plus you know, if you've already got a gun that shoots 5.7 then that isn't exactly a solution...
    I'm sure you could fit a 22 mag into a 5.7 rifle if you try hard and believe in yourself. Once.
    (>​_o)┏━ ~~~~~~~⊃

I'm sure you could fit a 22 mag into a 5.7 rifle if you try hard and believe in yourself. Once.
    Duct tape to the rescue!

Yes. NR I definitely would buy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast