Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HK SL8 in stock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post
    Proprietary mags are 90 bucks though, if you can find them.
    Magpul g36 mags work with a tiny modification to the magazine
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Took my SL8-4 out today. It did not disappoint.

I did not find the weight to be an issue - from some online reviews I saw, some people considered it barrel heavy. I am pretty weight sensitive and found it totally fine.

The biggest two things I noticed immediately was:

1. how accurate it was out of the box. I used PMC Bronze .223 55gr and shooting offhand, it grouped surprisingly well. I mated it with a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot which initially I did not have to make any adjustments. It got on paper, grouped decently at 25 yards, and I ended up making some slight adjustments to windage to improve the results.

2. I don't think it's a perception, but I really noticed that felt recoil was significantly less than with, say, my WK180 or even with my Tavor. Now, this could be the weight of this thing (which again did not bother me at all, perhaps due to the decent ergonomics and the equal weight distribution), but I noticed it right away. It was pleasant to shoot, accurate to shoot and handled like a dream.

The ambi charging handle was awesome. I was able to use it from both sides due to it's side to side spring design (I didn't lock it on one side or the other) and experiment on best comfort and fit for me. The mag release location and operation took a bit of time for me to get accustomed (I kept trying to pull the switch toward me to release), since I am used to the AR style of mag release location. And one slight bonus unlike some of my other .223 SA rifles, is that I can load a full 5-round mag on a closed bolt and the mag seats on the first try every time. That said, I do miss the ability to use my LAR15 mags, but I can definitely get used to this one.

The swanky HK hard case was nice and comfortable to cart around and I really liked the rounded design of it.

The whole rifle just felt solid, well made didn't have mysterious occasional rattles like my WK.

Definitely taking this baby back to the range next week and regularly for the foreseeable future.

Absolutely no regrets on this one and I would really recommend this to anyone who is looking for a decent .223 to add to their stable. G4C was great to work with, and efficient, communicative, and professional as usual.

Thanks for bringing this one in, fellas...
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Aren't these prohibited? If not then what gun am I thinking of that looks similar?
    (>​_o)┏━ ~~~~~~~⊃

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    It has nothing to do with exporting to North-America.
    It has everything to do with selling in Europe.

Many countries in Europe have an automatic ban for any rifle chambered in a "military caliber" such as 5.56-Nato or 7.62-Nato.
    But those exact same rifles chambered in .223-Remington or .308-Winchester are perfectly legal to own.

You can rest assured that these guns are perfectly fine with 5.56 ammo.
    Thank you for the information and the context. That's great to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by ponymusic View Post
    From the truth about guns website review of the SL8-6

"One final PC feature is the rifle’s caliber designation. The marking “Kal. .223 Rem.” is emblazoned on the side of the rifle in large lettering. However, hidden away on a portion of the trigger guard that’s behind the receiver when the gun is disassembled is the inscription “Kal 5.56 x 45.”

May be worth checking on your rifle.
    Interesting! I shot it today but didn't have time to clean it as right when I got home, I had to make the kids dinner. Shall disassemble tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Polish-Jack View Post
    Aren't these prohibited? If not then what gun am I thinking of that looks similar?
    Non-restricted, maybe you’re thinking of the HK G36 (full auto)?

Quote Originally Posted by M&P 40 View Post
    Non-restricted, maybe you’re thinking of the HK G36 (full auto)?
    Definately not the G36
    (>​_o)┏━ ~~~~~~~⊃

Quote Originally Posted by Polish-Jack View Post
    Definately not the G36
    HK 243 maybe?
    I know, it's going to be so awesome! /)^ε^(\

Quote Originally Posted by ponymusic View Post
    From the truth about guns website review of the SL8-6

"One final PC feature is the rifle’s caliber designation. The marking “Kal. .223 Rem.” is emblazoned on the side of the rifle in large lettering. However, hidden away on a portion of the trigger guard that’s behind the receiver when the gun is disassembled is the inscription “Kal 5.56 x 45.”

May be worth checking on your rifle.
    So, I took out the two screws on each side in the back and then the locking pin near the trigger guard, separated that back thumb hole and trigger assembly from the rest of the gun and took a good look at that part that would have been hidden directly under that external sticker on the receiver. Unlike what I see online, that space in front of the fire/safe selector switch, when that piece is removed (when installed it is covered by the receiver piece with the HK sticker on it) has nothing written/etched on it...looks like a plain rectangular box outline but no text. I took a look at the surrounding area and nothing was visible to the naked eye insofar as any indication of 5.56. I didn't disassemble any other parts, so it is possible this stamp could be elsewhere for Canadian models.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
    So, I took out the two screws on each side in the back and then the locking pin near the trigger guard, separated that back thumb hole and trigger assembly from the rest of the gun and took a good look at that part that would have been hidden directly under that external sticker on the receiver. Unlike what I see online, that space in front of the fire/safe selector switch, when that piece is removed (when installed it is covered by the receiver piece with the HK sticker on it) has nothing written/etched on it...looks like a plain rectangular box outline but no text. I took a look at the surrounding area and nothing was visible to the naked eye insofar as any indication of 5.56. I didn't disassemble any other parts, so it is possible this stamp could be elsewhere for Canadian models.
    Had one (-5) few months back, took it apart to check it out and it did say 5.56 on the lower...100%..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast