CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New World Record Set for Farthest Long-Range Rifle Shot: 4.4 Miles

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
    Ummmm, not reeeaaally.
    Although this is a popular misconception used by flat earthers and the like to debunk the authority of the scientific method.
    What is realized on occasion is that a known factor was not considered. These are the myriad of external factors you mention. ALL of which are known, just not always predictable.
    That's because they lie within the body of understanding known as Physics. Apart for Higgs Boson and maybe Dark matter, we pretty much have physics sorted.
    In fact, we have had this particular equation sorted since the first man (or woman) threw a rock at a mastodon. We've just been changing the variables since.
    Once the bullet leaves the barrel there are exactly two and only two forces acting on that bullet. Friction and gravity. That's it.

In an experiment like this, we might say the coriolis effect?, nope, got that.
    Wind? check, BC? check, MV? check, Altitude? check, BP? check, and so on.....
    So the myriad of external factors are either differential wind/pressure calculations or the rate/amount of powder burn since we can be pretty sure the earth doesn't suddenly increase or decrease the speed of it's rotation and bullets don't pass through other dimensions where the laws of physics are turned upside down.

There is only one unknown here and that is how much wind and pressure will affect trajectory over that distance. Minor variations in muzzle velocity will have significant effects over distance but again, these are known but not necessarily predictable quantities.

AND they walked it in, which means they didn't even predict them, they built a tool that shoots a long way and shot it a bunch of times until they eventually hit something they were aiming at.

In my book it means literally nothing.

If, they had built the tool, done the calculations, and then ding!, hit the target at that distance on their first shot we could say WOW! And I would be impressed.

Instead, they dropped an apple off the Empire State Building and it did exactly what an apple dropped out of my hand will do which is hit the ground. Oooooooooooooh!!!
    Actually, they dropped a whole bunch and eventually got one to fall into someone's open sunroof.

Total non event
    Nope no arguments with the scientific method. But after 30 ish years of taking some of the most technically advanced systems into the field/real world which were "perfected" and combining them with humans, know that until you accomplish it in the operational world yourself or with your team well!!

Back to the bar Beeron ya just need to realize they did it!
    How long was the process involving the Moon landing. Ya took a few time outs to get that one done!

CGN Regular
    Lol pointless record,

69 shots?

You're no longer ELR/sniping, whatever you want to call it

You're shoting artillery, welcome to area weapons lmao

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippo View Post
    How long was the process involving the Moon landing. Ya took a few time outs to get that one done!
    Don’t get me started on the moon landing!!!
    Lol
    Please do us all the courtesy of learning the procedure for removing a post when the item is sold. Making people open your post to find a cryptic "Sold" in the text is rude dude! Edit Post, Go Advanced, PLS Remove. Simple, Courteous.

CGN frequent flyer
    incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    With all due respect to the JTF2 pair who clearly demonstrated an impressive level of marksmanship, communication and perhaps most importantly teamwork it would not have been possible without the gear that was developed by some flat faced civilians who decide to see if something was possible.
    The title brags about a new world record not a new scientific advancement. This is a record but it isn't very impressive. If it's so impressive please explain why it is.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrible_E View Post
    The title brags about a new world record not a new scientific advancement. This is a record but it isn't very impressive. If it's so impressive please explain why it is.
    Not sure I focused on the world record as what I considered the important part. The author of the article choose to frame it that way. Again my point was how these efforts are often the driving force that spur innovation and improvements in how we do business in the long range shooting world. Sure some of it comes from the military but as observed in my time in the CAF much less than people might think. If you look at the gear they used much of it has been developed as a result of the desire to expand the envelope of what is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Not sure I focused on the world record as what I considered the important part. The author of the article choose to frame it that way. Again my point was how these efforts are often the driving force that spur innovation and improvements in how we do business in the long range shooting world. Sure some of it comes from the military but as observed in my time in the CAF much less than people might think. If you look at the gear they used much of it has been developed as a result of the desire to expand the envelope of what is possible.
    My point is that this isn't very impressive as either a long distance shooting record or a scientific experiment. You seem to think this is important or impressive and I am asking you to explain why.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippo View Post
    Well, they didn't miss the moon 68 times before landing on it... lol

In fact, if you add up ALL the missions from the Mercury (25), Gemini (19), and Apollo (13) programs you STILL don't get to the 69 shots it took for these guys to hit. lol
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    Not a math guy.... But

if you were off target a 100 yards by 1/16 of a inch what would it be at 4.4 miles
    Democracy is by having elected representatives vote the will of the constituents.
    A Smart Person Learns from their Mistakes, A Wise Person learns from the Mistakes of Others.
    If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is Opinion.