Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New World Record Set for Farthest Long-Range Rifle Shot: 4.4 Miles

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by skwerl View Post
    What would be the equivalent distance shooting a .22lr w/ 20'' bbl ?

Any Physicists ?
    Don't need physicists, check this out it's about a 4 to 1 ratio to equate a .308 round in terms of projcetile trajectory

https://finnaccuracy.com/blogs/fa-ne...best-out-of-it

So 1000m with .308 shot is .22lr @ 250m. However since they used a different round and at such extended range, you will have to play arond with the XLS to get something close to that.

Lot of ELR .22lr guys are shooting like 600-800 yards, the main limitation at that point after getting gucci gun and all, is the ammo.

You can't load your own and commercial ammo isn't there yet for SUPER elr ...

See vudoos video series on this

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
    I would Be interested to know as well.
    Math required………
    In order to make this calculation, need to knows include:
    Weight, BC, and muzzle velocity of projectile used

BP and weather info as well as elevation of gun and target.

For the 22lr. Barrel length is not relevant.
    What is relevant is again Weight, BC, and MV of the round (most march 22 has similar BC i believe but there is Massive variability among available choices here).
    Hypothetical environmental conditions including weather, pressure, and elevation.
    See my post above this reply.

Vudoo tested this and anything past 16" does nothing for .22lr in terms of mv

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Edie View Post
    I honestly don't care how many rounds it took to get there, but he only hit it once and called it a day. Only counts if you hit it twice IMO. With only 1 hit for all we know his dope was still off and he flinched it onto the plate.

Still impressive don't get me wrong. Even just being in the ball park at that range is amazing. Just confirm it with a second shot is all I'm saying.
    It doesn't really matter, with todays ballistic calculators and truing, all the elevation holds are known. You really are just gambling with wind (no device to measure that to that distance yet), and ammo consistency ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chanrobi View Post
    It doesn't really matter, with todays ballistic calculators and truing, all the elevation holds are known. You really are just gambling with wind (no device to measure that to that distance yet), and ammo consistency ...
    And atmospheric refraction
    Air temperature over flight path
    Air currents over flight path
    Spin of the earth
    Trans-sonic barrier
    And a number of other external ballistics factors that come into play .

Cooler yet is whacking a 160 meter wide asteroid at 6.8 million miles away with a fridge sized projectile with one shot!
    Lots of variables to figure out fer that one.
    *LEAD* Still the best boolit material for huntin' & plinkin' for over 600 yrs.
    Shoot well & load better.

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to care.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chanrobi View Post
    See my post above this reply.

Vudoo tested this and anything past 16" does nothing for .22lr in terms of mv
    Deleted
    Last edited by Beeron; 03-09-2023 at 04:42 PM.
    *FAIR WARNING* I LEAVE FEEDBACK FOR ALL TRANSACTIONS AND I EXPECT THE SAME.

What ballistics tables don't show is the spin rate (RPM) of the bullet at various distances. Gyroscopic Stability depends on sufficient bullet spin - too low and bullets tumble, and their path becomes unpredictable. That's the physics behind the baseball knuckleball - no one, not the pitcher, catcher or batter can predict where it will cross the plate.

The reason it's not shown in tables is that the spin rate slows much less than bullet velocity, so for any useful distance, the bullet will fall to the ground before it becomes unstable, unless of course it was only marginally stable at the barrel muzzle.

With the Barrett's 422 gr 0.416" bullet out of a 1:9 twist, it is very stable - so much so that those who believe in "over stabilization" would call it such. Even with a MV of 3300 fps (!) it was only estimated to be travelling at 689 fps at 4.4 miles (about 20% of its starting velocity), but its spin rate would have been perhaps at 80%.

So for the 22LR, unless your barrel twist rate was about 1:16 or faster, the bullet would tumble before it fell to the ground.
    Last edited by Andy; 09-27-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    Andy

Since 1958

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What ballistics tables don't show is the spin rate (RPM) of the bullet at various distances. Gyroscopic Stability depends on sufficient bullet spin - too low and bullets tumble, and their path becomes unpredictable. That's the physics behind the baseball curveball - no one, not the pitcher, catcher or batter can predict where it will cross the plate.

The reason it's not shown in tables is that the spin rate slows much less than bullet velocity, so for any useful distance, the bullet will fall to the ground before it becomes unstable, unless of course it was only marginally stable at the barrel muzzle.

With the Barrett's 422 gr 0.416" bullet out of a 1:9 twist, it is very stable - so much so that those who believe in "over stabilization" would call it such. Even with a MV of 3300 fps (!) it was only estimated to be travelling at 689 fps at 4.4 miles (about 20% of its starting velocity), but its spin rate would have been perhaps at 80%.

So for the 22LR, unless your barrel twist rate was about 1:16 or faster, the bullet would tumble before it fell to the ground.
    Deleted
    Last edited by Beeron; 03-09-2023 at 04:43 PM.
    *FAIR WARNING* I LEAVE FEEDBACK FOR ALL TRANSACTIONS AND I EXPECT THE SAME.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
    I think you mean Knuckleball!?
    Yes - corrected!
    Andy

Since 1958

I'm in absolute awe at this shot!