Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a used handgun

Question Advice on buying a used handgun

Hey. I'm super new to the sport. I was looking around for used handguns, probably 9mm. I found a few neat used pistols for sale over the Internet - mostly Glocks, but I saw some SIG P320s.

Besides the good advice from the "Fraud and Bad Deals Awareness" post, it occurs to me that I don't know what kinds of questions to ask to make sure I'm not buying something totally clapped out. I thought maybe I should ask how many rounds the pistol has fired and whether there's any damage or scratches on the gun, but is there anything else I need to keep in mind?

Or is buying a pistol over the Internet a bad idea to start with? Haha.

Thanks
    Last edited by jkellendonk; 09-24-2022 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Saw the fraud and bad deals awareness post

I suppose that making contact over the internet isn't a terrible idea - but - anyone can send pictures of a piece - doesn't mean they actually have it. Anyone can tell you that the piece is in immaculate shape and fired less than a box of ammo, but if you don't see the actual piece, you are trusting that they aren't blowing smoke up your orifice.
    That's why it's a good idea to join this forum and do your shopping on the EE here. A person's trader rating will give you a good idea about who you are dealing with and give some assurance that you will be getting what you're told you're getting. I've bought at least a dozen guns from guys on the EE and have never been disappointed.
    You can go up to the top right of this page, where it says Team Membership and for a few bucks, can become a team member - that will aid in "fast-tracking" you, to be able to access the EE. If you're looking to get a gun and not get screwed in the process, it'll be the best $25-$35 you've spent this year. - Good luck.

Thank you! Great points.

Super Moderator
    I'm not sure that round count means much when you are talking about a modern service type pistol.
    I have two M&P Pro series 9mms. They are "experienced". Both shoot very well.
    I'd be more concerned about someone messing with the thing rather than just using it.

A lot of flippers selling brand new in box handguns that they just received. One of those from a seller with a good feedback score will result in a brand new gun, albeit at late September pre transfer ban prices. Seller's market out there.
    Oh hello. Are you picking up your brass?

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I'm not sure that round count means much when you are talking about a modern service type pistol.
    I have two M&P Pro series 9mms. They are "experienced". Both shoot very well.
    I'd be more concerned about someone messing with the thing rather than just using it.
    What does messing with it mean? Swapping in aftermarket parts and such?

Quote Originally Posted by cattabliss View Post
    A lot of flippers selling brand new in box handguns that they just received. One of those from a seller with a good feedback score will result in a brand new gun, albeit at late September pre transfer ban prices. Seller's market out there.
    Huh. That makes sense. This is what I get for waiting. Lol

GunNutz
    Buy a new one from an established retailer. Save the headache. There's not much time left. Get the transfer process going.

Quote Originally Posted by jkellendonk View Post
    Huh. That makes sense. This is what I get for waiting. Lol
    I see multiple brand new p320s with a quick search on arsenalforce. I'd go with a retailer, it'll likely be cheaper too. With a used seller you have to wait until they initiate the transfer, and there's no guarantee they'll even be able to contact the CFO in time even after you've given them money.

99.999% of the time it will be 100% of the funds sent first, then seller will start trying to connect to CFO. And every day they cannot connect to the CFO is a day you are without your money nor certainty.

Retailers can initiate transfer within minutes of your purchase.
    Oh hello. Are you picking up your brass?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jkellendonk View Post
    What does messing with it mean? Swapping in aftermarket parts and such?
    Ill-advised alterations intended to "improve" it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast