Page 13 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: IN-STOCK: All-New TYPE 81 SR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer medvedqc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray 3-D View Post
    Arguably the solid wood SVD stock runs a higher risk of developing a crack... but only time can tell for that one. There is a reason why most thumbhole stocks like the PSL and SVD are Laminate
    maybe adding a touch of fiberglass around.

CGN Regular
    Arguably the solid wood SVD stock runs a higher risk of developing a crack... but only time can tell for that one. There is a reason why most thumbhole stocks like the PSL and SVD are Laminate
    Those rifles are chambered in x54r don't forget and have a much bigger kick than the x39 and the Iraqi tabuk I don't think had a laminate stock either. Should be totally fine, x39 recoil is verrry reasonable from my experience on a sks and VZ58, and consider even adding a muzzle break for even less ! Also, I'm thinking they probably made and tested these prior to wholesale manufacture and sale and if the stock had breakagebissues they probably dealt with them !

Quote Originally Posted by Thiopento View Post
    Those rifles are chambered in x54r don't forget and have a much bigger kick than the x39 and the Iraqi tabuk I don't think had a laminate stock either. Should be totally fine, x39 recoil is verrry reasonable from my experience on a sks and VZ58, and consider even adding a muzzle break for even less ! Also, I'm thinking they probably made and tested these prior to wholesale manufacture and sale and if the stock had breakagebissues they probably dealt with them !
    Not only that, but those rifles look pretty heavy...that will go a long way towards taming the already mild recoil even further.
    "Gun control" is a feel good term, which is designed to disquise the globalist disarmament efforts under the pretense of fighting crime.

Murray pointed a very important point and the 9holes sample had a cracked stock you can see it very well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Murray 3-D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiopento View Post
    Its not just about recoil, seasonal shifts and generally use can eventually take its toll. I had a walnut SVD stock crack on me, it took years to happen. But then it did. Like the cracked Two River Armory Tabuk stock featured in 9 holes review... its still usable after the crack. But it bugs my OCD haha. Since then ive always used Laminate for skeleton stocks.
    Just saying it how it is.....

Its not just about recoil, seasonal shifts and generally use can eventually take its toll. I had a walnut SVD stock crack on me, it took years to happen. But then it did. Like the cracked Two River Armory Tabuk stock featured in 9 holes review... its still usable after the crack. But it bugs my OCD haha. Since then ive always used Laminate for skeleton stocks.
    well maybe we need a project maker with a copy of the laminate stock of the sr81 ...

I wonder if adding Birchwood Tru-oil would strengthen it?

I noticed my T81 full wood stock was getting dinged easily - Tru-oil provided a much harder finish.

If only to seal it against the elements maybe.
    Last edited by JeffMan; 09-30-2022 at 08:03 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Hopefully they TI has a supply of spare stocks. At least a a wood stock can be sourced locally if need be.

CGN Regular
    Last edited by saltfree; 11-02-2022 at 02:20 AM.

CGN Regular
    Last edited by saltfree; 11-02-2022 at 02:20 AM.