Thread: Advice on purchasing a long gun for target shooting

Advice on purchasing a long gun for target shooting

Hello,

I am new to shooting and have joined a club hoping to shoot long target.

I am seeking advice on what firearm would be reliable and best suited for a beginner.

I am hoping to shoot 25-100 yards.

Cheers!

22lr, cheap and sufficient for 100 yards and within

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    any of the CZ 452/455/457 series will do you just fine.
    #torontoexit

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    You can buy anything as long as you have the money.

If you have a restricted license for a handgun, buy now because the game could be over in a few days and no more sales will be allowed.

Non restricted, anything from a 22 to a 338, bolt action or semi automatic.

There are many people on here who just love bolt action 22lr, to me they do nothing. But I like handguns in 22. I like SKS, some people hate it. Many people love the Tavor, good guns but pricey. Or the FX-9, many like it.

Try a few and see what you like. It is like asking what car to buy. It is an individual decision and depends a lot on your budget. Don't forget to take ammo costs into your equation.

Beginner? Definitely start with a Ruger 10-22.
    Cheap to shoot, cheap to get into it and good to get the fundamentals of shooting down with a gun with light recoil.
    I'd grab something with a basic scope and then upgrade the trigger which is super easy to do.

Here are a few links:
    Gun with beginner scope - https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15450...ic-rifle-combo
    Trigger - https://www.cabelas.ca/product/77392...igger-assembly

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Welcome! Buy a good gun and then buy lots of different lots of ammo. A .22LR is an excellent training rifle. In the old days the army had .22 CNo7 Lee Enfields that were exactly like No.4 rifles. A shooter didn't have to learn a whole new set of skills to shoot the .303 well.

What you buy is almost irrelevant. The fact that you do buy is important. I would suggest a close third after buying ammo, is to invest in good paper targets. The holes will cut better in the correct stock versus tearing or losing consistency.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Would 100% echo the sentiments of the CZ 45x series. I taught two of my kids how to shoot with a bolt action .22 (unfortunately I did not have my CZ at that time so the Savage had to do). The other advantages of a .22 are somewhat still widely available ammo, and most importantly, it is still relatively cheap in comparison with a number of centerfire calibers, all of which have ballooned in price and shrunk in availability. 22LR will allow sufficient practice, there is virtually no recoil so very friendly to new shooters.

The CZ 452/455/457 are all excellent choices not just for the new shooter, but for shooters of all skills, backgrounds, etc. In fact, I am taking my 457 this weekend to my club and will be target shooting with it predominantly. It is a very enjoyable rifle, and great accuracy out of the box.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP