Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Shooting

Apparently clubs can still own guns if they have Olympic shooters there...So join a club I guess and get good enough? Thankfully I have a target 22...just need to figure out how "good" I need to be to qualify to but more of them in the future.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Milanczar's Avatar
    Cabin boy aboard the New England whaler Pequod
    The legislation is written for the present tense to include present participants but not future or past.

"trains, competes, coaches"

not wants to or did.

That is significant as how do you start to "train, compete or coach" if you don't already have such a qualifying firearm in the first place either or are currently not doing so.

It would seem to only exempt current participants and foreign competitors or non Canadians currently competing that emigrate to Canada.

Canada has not far advanced in creating issues from where people were trying to decide "how many angels can dance or fit on the head of a pin"
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.
    - Moby Dick, Herman Melville

While I have owned a few Olympic handguns, glocks will never be included.
    Can you buy one now if your are not already in the sport??????? I don't know
    The interesting thing I noticed on the online auctions in the last couple of months or so,
    These Hi end target guns did not sell that great , compared to 44 mag, or 9 mm Glocks, and CZ that where selling for very hi prices.
    I kind of think the barn door is closed.

I little tidbit some will not know, The only US made gun to ever win Olympic gold was with a Hi Standard pistol, 22.
    All the rest have been Euro guns Hi Standard only made one centerfire pistol in all the years they where in business

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    I believe you guys are the expert in this area. How does one become actively training in Olympic shooting? Is that shooting Federation of Canada?

Is it possible to train in Olympic with a Glock and .22 conversion kit?

Can a local gun club set up Olympic training day so participants can sign up as training for Olympic?
    The Shooting Federation of Canada is the governing body for Olympic and Common Wealth Games. There are gun clubs in all major cities focused on ISSF-style pistol and rifle shooting disciplines. One can become a member and start practicing right away. Some of them have airguns and firearms to train junior shooters.

Rules won't disqualify one from participating in a match with a Glock shooting .22 rounds, see below for the box size that gun must fit, however, there is min. and max. trigger weights specified which standard Glock won't make...

Something else to keep in mind, there is a center-fire discipline that permits the use of bullets 7.62mm to 9.65mm (.30 - .38 caliber)

Name:  ISSF-Pistol.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  115.5 KB

CGN Regular
    I used to compete in the 10m Air pistol and 50m Free pistol event, so here is my two cents.
    There are a few pistol events:
    1. 10 meter Air pistol - 0.177 cal PCP air pistol shot at 10 meter
    2. Standard Pistol - 0.22 cal (22LR) semi auto pistol shot at 25 meter (?)
    3. Rapid Pistol - 0.22 cal (22 shot ?) semi auto pistol shot at 25 meter
    4. Center Fire Pistol - 0.32 cal or more (I think 38 Special was popular at one time) semi auto pistol (revolver was used long ago) shot at 25m
    5. Free Pistol - 0.22 cal (22LR) pistol shot at 50m

There are very strict equipment rules for event 1~4, size, weight, barrel length, trigger weight etc
    For Free Pistol, I don't think there is much rules, hence the term "Free Pistol", I don't know whether you can use a Glock though, as most Free Pistol are single shot with electronic trigger with trigger pull weight in grams ( like 5 grams or less ).

the biggest obstacles for hosting Olympic Shooting event is the range, you need specialize target carrying system for both the 25 m and the 50 m. Event 2~4 requires timed turning targets which I think is not cheap.
    I guess you can train for Free Pistol if you have a 50 m range, which use a static target. But a proper 50 m target system is a must if you want to be good.
    I would not mind if more Olympic range is available in Canada, I would loved to get back into Free Pistol again.

One of the local clubs shoot Olympic air guns, mainly youth club I believe.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    If they can have ping pong, skateboarding and other non-traditional olympic sports included in the olympics from time to time, why not ipsc?
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

CGN Regular
    Canadian Olympic shooting team about the get Hella big

Not the way the rules are written now. If you are not in already, you are out.

Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    The Shooting Federation of Canada is the governing body for Olympic and Common Wealth Games. There are gun clubs in all major cities focused on ISSF-style pistol and rifle shooting disciplines. One can become a member and start practicing right away. Some of them have airguns and firearms to train junior shooters.

Rules won't disqualify one from participating in a match with a Glock shooting .22 rounds, see below for the box size that gun must fit, however, there is min. and max. trigger weights specified which standard Glock won't make...

Something else to keep in mind, there is a center-fire discipline that permits the use of bullets 7.62mm to 9.65mm (.30 - .38 caliber)

Name:  ISSF-Pistol.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  115.5 KB
    All good, but this was before the freeze and new regs.