Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Olympic Shooting

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sillymike's Avatar
    Standing guard with the Radical Gun Lobby
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    Guys..
    these rules are intended to be basically impossible..
    energy should be spent on plans in court or something
    Getting rid of current politicians and the bureaucracy that support them?
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Janeau View Post
    Exactly. Guns made for the events only. A shooter will have to enroll in the Federation shooting program and follow it. Like going to the gym 2-3 times a week .. you have to be dedicated to that sport to get in. You are followed by instructor- coachs.
    All this to obtain a couple of .22, Walter or Pardini at $2000 + a pop ??

This is also a sport for the young. They start young shooter early and ‘build ‘ them up to a high level. Can take 10 years to get to Olympic level and some just cannot follow the pace mandated by the required training. ( school, life, family, job ect )

At our club, 2/3 of the pistol shooters have a hard time to show up once a year !! I don’t think Olympic shooting program is a viable option for sport shooters.
    Your take on it is way too negative. I know several people who've started ISSF shooting in their 40s or 50s, new to pistol shooting, and are doing just fine at the club level, having fun. Practice at the range once a week, shoot a match or two every month. It helps to practice dry firing at home during the week. You don't have to be good to show up, and the more experienced guys will happily offer useful coaching if asked. Your scores will quickly improve. That's satisfying. Is there anyone on this forum who doesn't like accuracy, and getting improvement in your shooting? Don't let Justin Trudeau do your thinking for you. He's so ill informed about shooting, he probably does think of Olympic handgun as an elite activity, carried on by fancy elite people kinda like him, so he's graciously prepared to let it continue. But that's not actually true. Club level ISSF shooting in Canada is not elitist, or expensive, or too hard.

If anyone is seriously interested in training for Olympic shooting I'm going to assume the process is going to be similar to the UK, China, Japan, Australia and other countries where private ownership of proper handguns has been illegal for quite some time. As a beginner, you will have to join a club which will give you access to their firearms which they are legally allowed to possess as an organization for the purpose of the sport. You meet up with them at set times and locations to train, and that is how you gain the experience to potentially become an Olympic-level shooter. From my understanding, this provision in C-21 was made because once professional target shooters reach a certain level of accomplishment they will need their own guns custom made for them to improve their game by whatever small margins and give them a competitive edge. This is why these athletes specifically are allowed to purchase 'handguns', because technically the guns they use in these competitions are considered firearms under Canadian Law. As for the types of guns that are allowed in these competitions, I'm not sure the typical gun collector would be that interested in them. Like the other user said, they are either airguns (classified as firearms by the law because they exceed the maximum velocity/muzzle energy) or .22 LR pistols and rifles. They are basically the disproportionate looking contraptions you see people use with one hand at the Olympics with fancy moulded grips, compensators and long thin barrels. That's the type of pistol you can custom-order and legally register if you are an Olympic shooter. You definitely won't be able to modify a Glock or 1911 to shoot .22 LR and say you need it to train to become an Olympic athlete. The best you could hope for is that once you actually achieve that level and are allowed to purchase your own guns you can also buy something vintage like a Colt Woodsman or the Walther equivalent in .22, though I personally doubt that would be possible either seeing as this is a sporting-based license not for purposes of collecting.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789