Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Mask Filter Problems Solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBPECKFORD View Post
    Are Theese for preppers? Or military training? Just wondering...
    I'd def say for training unless much more info is provided. Wouldn't rely on no-name surp filters for serious scenarios. They're not in a sealed mylar bag or anything so it'd be hard to say how good the charcoal still is. Good for a workout as it limits airflow but like that other guy said, if it has asbestos and chromium, only thing it's worth for is LARPing. MIRA Safety is having a clearance event on their previous model CBR"N" filters and with some cart trickery you can get them for a descent price. Tho a big common misconception, considering the current global sociopolitical events, if I understood what i read correctly, is that most CBR"N" filters don't deal with the radioactive iodine itself but merely the particulates that carry it. So you gotta combine most CBRN filters with some thyrosafe unless specifically spec-ed to handle radioactive iodine.

Direct quote from a surp expert at kruschiki.com (@krus_chiki on Twitter) "I think it’s kinda dumb imo the masks are ineffective at that age for any serious use. They were produced from 1961-1971, and used to the 90s, so any filters will be well over 30 years old. Not sure about the content. *if* they seal properly *maybe* it would help against tear gas"

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Alright so what kind of testing have you done? Have you actually tested for proper seal using banana essence (CIA method) or anything similar? Considering the nature of the product, I hope you've actually tested them to the best of your ability. Furthermore, where's the spec sheet? What is it rated for? What's it's construction even? There's not much info out there. HEPA filter and charcoal or just charcoal?
    If you would like a modern, brand new gas mask, ready NBC warfare , spend the $400-$500 and you will have what you need.

We are not advertising these as that and we are charging as if they are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Firearms View Post
    If you would like a modern, brand new gas mask, ready NBC warfare , spend the $400-$500 and you will have what you need.

We are not advertising these as that and we are charging as if they are either.
    I mean, by titling your post as "Gas Mask Filter Problems Solved." forgive me if I thought otherwise... Perhaps a disclaimer on your product page should be added like many other surplus website put such as "FOR COSTUME PURPOSES ONLY", "THESE FILTERS ARE 30+ YEARS OLD", "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK", etc. If you're assuming that your customers "already know that"; that's legally laughable.

I'm sure what would be truly appreciated by many tho is giving us a cross-section of one of the filters.

Side note, allegedly, according to a mutual who owns some, they are indeed charcoal based and do not contain asbestos or chromium so outta be safe to use No clue if they have a HEPA filter.
    Last edited by Jeanmat; 10-31-2022 at 10:41 PM. Reason: idea for better product demonstration

Last edited by josey wales; 11-26-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    Play stupid games...Win stupid prizes.
    WARNING Does Not Play Well With Others
    CSSA and CCFR member

and a proper fitting

Quote Originally Posted by koopa1333 View Post
    All of the potential problems as mentioned above are a bit worrisome, but furthermore, 40mm GOST and 40mm NATO are two different thread pitches. I have a hard time believing it actually forms an airtight seal on both types of masks. Also 60mm filters contain all sorts of nasty stuff ranging from asbestos to chromium. Just pony up the extra money folks and get a good mask and good filters. Frontier has some great offerings
    AND, do a proper FIT test, or ANY mask is useless...

Quote Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
    The use of Banana essence is called qualitative fit testing; most modern facilities use quantitative fit testing like a PortaCount unit for respirators; never heard it referred to as "CIA method"

We still use the qualitative test for M95s, it is a PIA.

Lately the use of PAPRs has become popular since there is no fit testing required with these, just a bit of training.
    My amateur ass calls it CIA method because I learned it from a declassified CIA instructional video from the 70s(?) :D Thanks for the clarification

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Perhaps a disclaimer on your product page should be added like many other surplus website put such as "FOR COSTUME PURPOSES ONLY"
    This was done on the masks long before we made this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12