Thread: Carbon vs Stainless for longevity/precision

Carbon vs Stainless for longevity/precision

Any internal test done?

Accuracy/longevity between the carbon wrapped vs sporter fluted barrel in the CDX-R7 ?

They are about the same weight so why? Not much info on barrel size

Ive only ever had 2 barrels that gave me grief and they were both carbon. I personally dont use carbon barrels, I dont see the point, not to mention theyre even more expensive. But people love em for some reason but I expect its more the thought of saying they have a carbon barrel. Id take a traditional barrel over carbon any day.

Uber Super GunNutz Journeyman.ca's Avatar
    In my experience I find my carbon fibre barrels run much cooler and therefore maintain accuracy during repeated firings. I have not tried any big bore CF barrels however. 6.5 CM is the largest cal I have experience with. I really like them on my .17s and .22s.
    I support CGN, CSSA (Life), CCFR (Life), Canadian Retailers and Manufacturers. Advocate for your rights in Ottawa and stand against emotional legislation.

In my experience the carbon holds in the heat more than straight steel, may feel cooler on the outside but gets hotter in the bore. After 3 carbon barrels, all proof research, at nearly double the cost of steel… switched back to steel myself. Just my experiences w/ 22LR, 260Rem and 308. For a gun where weight is a concern and long strings of fire aren’t, they kick ass, but not for range toys or precision rifle.

I would have to say stainless. Grand Master Socks says carbon bad.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sun_and_Steel_77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmouth View Post
    I would have to say stainless. Grand Master Socks says carbon bad.
    LOL...nice!
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Uber Super GunNutz Journeyman.ca's Avatar
    The cooling properties have more to do with the amount and type of resin the barrel manufacturer uses. Carbon fibre can also positively effect barrel harmonics vs weight. If I only had one rifle, I wouldn’t go with carbon fibre. I wouldn’t take one into a heavy use/abusive environment either. As well, I’m always learning and interested to hear of other’s experiences with the products they have chosen. The one thing that’s true, is that there are few certainties and ‘alwayses’ in this sport.
    I support CGN, CSSA (Life), CCFR (Life), Canadian Retailers and Manufacturers. Advocate for your rights in Ottawa and stand against emotional legislation.

I have both CDX-33 in 6.5CM and 300WM which shoot like a dream even at 100 round in 1 hour, it's hot but still really accurate.
    I wanted a 6.5CM really lighter so a sheepdog would fit at 8.2lbs.

I've had both carbon and steel barrels. I can't say I have a preference as both as long as they are good quality shoot very well.

Many factors go into making a good shooting carbon barrel. I can tell you right now if the barrels should be vastly different in weight. My 6mm CM Hardy Carbon Barrel is an absolute tack driver, it weighs about 3 lbs vs a normal straight cut barrel which would be about 7 lbs.

Hardy barrels are the lightest of the carbon barrels though, second I think is proof. I had a carbon six barrel which wasn't as light but was a tack shooter (McGowan blank)

I can't speak for accuracy as I've never owned a carbon wrapped barrel.
    As for life of the barrel, I can't see it being a whole lot different to any other barrel of quality manufacture. It is, after all, carbon fibre wrapped, the chamber and rifling is still the same steel, be it moly chrome or stainless. If you shoot it hot and dont polish the throat then the life will be shorter than if you keep it cool and polished.