Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CSSA Handgun Freeze Legal Action

Exactly. Gun owners did not buy handguns in order to get an arbitrary quantity of someone's tax money or tax credits of swapped for them! That is just foolish. We own them and must be allowed their use and/or disposition. And without a credible reason otherwise we must be allowed to acquire more!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cbabes's Avatar
    Changed my mind. LOL
    Last edited by cbabes; 11-21-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Lions need not concern themselves with the opinions of the lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post
    I want my ability to buy/sell/trade my lawfully obtained property restored not "compensation" taken out of taxpayers pockets.

Anyone else?
    This exactly. Cant be put any plainer or simpler. But I am glad to hear about the lawsuit though
    Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest
    proud member of local 306 International Brotherhood of Jazz Dancers, Pastry Chefs and Nuclear Technicians

Ditto. I did not buy them to get an arbitrary comp from taxpayers for their theft

Quote Originally Posted by hsatimmy View Post
    If we're lucky we'll get someone who can download the relevant materials and read the legalese. RN I'm sure the best we can hope for is armchair until R.Bailey or another decides to research the specific language used.

The good thing is if there are any positive steps in the other lawsuit it could potentially have a bearing here
    The application is right here: https://s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/C...gun-Freeze.pdf

Not a lawyer but have spent years working inside Canadian court houses professionally. Most of it is basic English and asks for a lot more than the press release.

They are applying for 18 different things related to handgun freeze, the first of which is asking the court to declare the regulation ultra vires, or out of jurisdiction for the feds to have issued such a regulation. It's a pretty decent list.
    Oh hello. Are you picking up your brass?

I haven't read the submissions, but I am a lawyer, (although this post does not constitute legal advice). Here goes:

1. Personal property is provincial jurisdiction, so the feds can't make laws that say "all cars must be painted red" or "no one is allowed to own more than 3 wristwatches", UNLESS those personal property restrictions are made under some power that is of federal jurisdiction.
    2. Criminal law is federal jurisdiction, and the criminal code is full of laws whose stated intent is the protection of the safety of Canadians but seem to infringe on property rights (i.e. you are not allowed to drive your own car if you have been drinking too much)
    3. In the past, when the feds implemented the long gun registry, they were challenged by Alberta on the grounds that it was a personal property matter and therefore ultra vires (i.e. "not within the scope of") the feds, but Alberta lost that fight because the courts found that gun control legislation was for public protection and therefore under the criminal law powers of the feds.

I expect the feds will get their way with this one as well, but I am glad that someone is putting it to the courts to decide.

I am glad someone is taking these idiots to task.

The problem is you cannot fix stupid.

In addition, the courts are filled with Liberal appointed b@g-lickers, this country is run by tyrannical communistic politicians.

I wonder how many Canadian gun owners still do not get it and continue to vote Liberal?......
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

trust me, nothing will happen. don't hang your hopes. What happened to the lawsuit over the OIC back in may 2020? NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post
    I want my ability to buy/sell/trade my lawfully obtained property restored not "compensation" taken out of taxpayers pockets.

Anyone else?
    Yes absolutely, and clear back to when this nonsense started with the FAL double cross.
    Antis say guns kill people. We are still waiting for the first gun to get up and kill someone.

Patiently waiting for the outcome of the investigation into the illegal invocation of the War Measures Act to see how much damage Trudeau has managed to inflict, the investigation being the first major investigation into the latest and greatest of his many offenses against the people of Canada. Either he's kicked out eventually over this or the fox has already managed to weasel his way into the hen house judiciary (yeah, well, why not mix metaphors). In any event one can only hope, and failing that, we can assume there will be increasingly flagrant violations of rights and more investigations. Mebbe we get lucky,

In the meantime staring at a letter from the NFA (one of a number of gun owner rights groups I support to represent to my interests. Being retired I'm far too busy to spend time in Ottawa). Figured it was reminder my membership was due, but the "Justin Trudeau sent a clear message with his handgun freeze... Your other guns are next!! But you can still stop him. Here's how.." stamp in big red capital letters at the top of the first page suggested otherwise.

I figured "This is it. I'm being recruited into a militia!". Only logical conclusion since I pay NFA to forestall this sort of development (bans of any sort) at all. I get it: they fail, Plan B.

But no. Turns out they want me to sign a petition that will be sent to Trudeau and to Poilliveau. My initial reaction of course is, "You go girl!"

Not a fan of collectives of any sort except family. Government I'll allow as a necessary evil except when it goes off the rails as it has in Canada and is becoming more frequent in more places these days, when it becomes simply evil.

Much has been said in the past under various circumstances about one's right to own firearms. The only issue that comes to mind these days is a quote I live by attributed to George Orwell; namely,

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Be damned if I know where it came from (swear it was repeated in one of his books, seems to have disappeared from the Interwebz attributed to one of Orwell's books or the other), stumbled across Orwell's use of it in a newspaper article here:

https://orwell-rifle.s3.amazonaws.com/EVENING_STANDARD_1941-01-08.pdf

In the meantime, shoot a moose feed a family while we can, read a book. Recommend Orwell and Huxley.

Edited to add: reference to the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37N0aFmO19o&t=4s
    Last edited by bnichols; 11-21-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Add reference for the comments
    Wad now going to the CPC rather than gun lobby groups. You can't fix stupid.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast