Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Black Talon 9x19mm Deep Penetrator

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384

Winchester Black Talon 9x19mm Deep Penetrator

Well here is something you don't see every day, Winchester Black Talon ammunition! I did some googling and quick referencing and prices on this stuff seem to be all over the board. ( saw +9.00 USD per ROUND.. )

Anyone have some insight on this for a value on the ammo?

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

They're weird.
    They've been out of production for a LONG time because they got branded the "Cop Killer" and it spooked them/sales weren't really all that great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

As for value, they're mostly a collector's item. An auction might be the fairest way to go.

CGN frequent flyer lil_juiced_coupe's Avatar
    I have buckets of these. Was buying 50 rounds for 30 bucks at the last gun show

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    I've been collecting what I can for black Talon whenever it comes up for a reasonable price. For 9mm I haven't payed more than $2 a round. For 10mm I payed $2.50 and .40 I payed $1.50, I've always wanted to add a box of .45acp, 357 mag and 44 mag. But it's pretty rare these days. I shot two 9mm into a barrel of water. And also have an encased 147gr black Talon in and resin sphere from ballistic impressions. They are the highlight of my Defensive ammo collection for sure.

Last edited by Craig0ry; 12-15-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

It is more of a novelty/collector. They'll probably fetch more in the US where prices are $2-5 usd / round depending on volume (based on Gunbroker). Here I'd be tempted to try $80-$100 cad per box of 20.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    They're weird.
    They've been out of production for a LONG time because they got branded the "Cop Killer" and it spooked them/sales weren't really all that great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

As for value, they're mostly a collector's item. An auction might be the fairest way to go.
    Kinda funny considering the RCMP/ERT use essentially the exact same stuff, rebranded and without the black coating.

Winchester Ranger RA9SXTC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evonorth View Post
    Kinda funny considering the RCMP/ERT use essentially the exact same stuff, rebranded and without the black coating.

Winchester Ranger RA9SXTC
    It's super similar, the SXT series, ranger and ranger T followed by the defender series is a big rabbit hole I've delved down more than once! Main differences being in bonding and jacket material. In my photo above you can see the 147gr sxt and 147gr black Talon perform very similar the "Talons" on the black Talon do stick out a little further than it's SXT brother, both are from the same era as well. New defender series don't have talons sticking out at all.
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine .303 View Post
    Well here is something you don't see every day, Winchester Black Talon ammunition! I did some googling and quick referencing and prices on this stuff seem to be all over the board. ( saw +9.00 USD per ROUND.. )

Anyone have some insight on this for a value on the ammo?

United States ammunition pricing is ridiculous. We can buy ammunition in Canada less expensive then their cost there.

The Winchester Talon ammo had a lot of controversy attached to it which was stupid. As one other member stated they were slated as cop killers. Obvious a democrat/liberal feel good label, yet again.

I have shot this ammunition before, it works well. Just keep it, you may need it!

I remember in the late 1980's and early 1990's the CBSA were stating this black talon ammo was prohibited in Canada. Not sure if it was true or not.
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig0ry View Post
    I've been collecting what I can for black Talon whenever it comes up for a reasonable price. For 9mm I haven't payed more than $2 a round. For 10mm I payed $2.50 and .40 I payed $1.50, I've always wanted to add a box of .45acp, 357 mag and 44 mag. But it's pretty rare these days. I shot two 9mm into a barrel of water. And also have an encased 147gr black Talon in and resin sphere from ballistic impressions. They are the highlight of my Defensive ammo collection for sure.

That's a really cool collection.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow amazing collection! I really love the resin ball.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast