Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC Carbine 5.7x28mm now approved for Canada 765.26USD

I’m sure one of the big dealers is working on a run with Canadian 18.5” barrels. Ruger is usually pretty good to our market. If you want a non restricted one, email Ruger. They’ll make it happen if there’s enough demand

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maifire View Post
    Anyone know what the terminal barrel length on that cartridge? Lot of choices in pistols/smg/carbines but i have not seen a cdn compliant one. It makes me think about that 18.5.
    I have done some reading on the 5.7x28mm and almost 100% of it comes back with the same thing: either the cartridge was designed for, or the perfect barrel length was figured out to be, around 10.5 inches (about 268mm). Due to this all factory ammunition is designed for complete powder burn at about 9-10 inches. There are speculations that any barrel over 16.5 inches is useless and there will be velocity drops, but that is scarce because no one in the USA (where these things come from) puts over a 16.5 inch barrel on 5.7x28mm chambered guns. There are some actual mentions that handgun barrel lengths results in improper powder burn when using factory ammunition which is designed for the 10.5 inch barrel.

In other words, the 5.7x28mm works absolute best in a 10.5 inch barrel and doesn't seem to work optimally in anything over 16.5 inches... and Canada's gun laws suck sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Shot View Post
    Will it be available in a Canadian compliant 18.6" barrel?
    Quote Originally Posted by tonykimatpl View Post
    Would this be imported as a restricted firearm?
    Specs from Ruger for the one pictured:

• Model Number: 19302
    • Caliber: 5.7x28mm

• Capacity10+1
    • Weight5.9 lb.
    • Overall Length 28.70" - 30.60"
    • Length of Pull 12.50" - 14.50"
    • Twist1:9" RH

• Barrel Length16.25" (Canada Restricted)
    • Barrel FeatureFluted, Black Nitride
    • Thread Pattern1/2"-28
    • Receiver MaterialAluminum Alloy
    • Grooves8

• StockFolding, Adjustable Length of Pull
    • SightsAdjustable Ruger® Rapid Deploy
    • Receiver FinishType III Hard-Coat Anodized
    • UPC7-36676-19302-8

• This capacity compliant model features a threaded barrel, reversible, side-folding, adjustable stock and 10-round magazine.
    • Weighing under 6 lbs., the lightweight and compact Ruger® LC Carbine™ utilizes the same steel magazines and familiar ergonomic controls as the Ruger-5.7™ pistol.
    • Unique bolt-over-barrel design with the magazine in the grip allows for excellent balance and pointability.
    • Folding stock and collapsible sights are ideal for compact storage.

• The reversible folding stock, with adjustable length of pull, is compatible with both AR-pattern and Picatinny rail-mounted aftermarket accessory stocks.
    • Features a 16.25" fluted, nitride-treated steel barrel for strength, accuracy, and longevity.
    • 1/2"-28 TPI threaded barrel with thread protector allows for the attachment of popular muzzle accessories including muzzle brakes, flash hiders and caliber-appropriate suppressors.

• Impressive ergonomics with ambidextrous manual safety, reversible charging handle, ergonomic bolt release and extended magazine release latch.
    • Utilizes Ruger's safe, reliable and proven Secure Action™ fire-control system that combines a protected internal hammer with a bladed-safety trigger. The trigger has a short, smooth pull, clean break and positive reset.
    • CNC-milled handguard that is Type III hard-coat anodized aluminum for maximum durability, with M-LOK® accessory attachment slots. Multiple QD sling sockets allow for maximum versatility.
    • Ruger® Rapid Deploy folding sights are adjustable for windage and elevation and the full length Picatinny rail allows for optic mounting.
    • Safety features include: 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety; an integrated trigger safety; lightweight firing pin; neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
    • Also includes: one Ruger-5.7™ steel pistol magazine, ambidextrous magazine button, M-LOK® QD sling socket and hex wrenches for disassembly.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

I think they look pretty good...this would be a awesome little varmint shwacking machine !
    If this amendment wasn't coming Id definitely have grabbed...

Quote Originally Posted by shooter1911 View Post
    I think they look pretty good...this would be a awesome little varmint shwacking machine !
    If this amendment wasn't coming Id definitely have grabbed...
    Read this headline:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...s-On-Bill-C-21

C21 most likely will not become law until 2023 fall, the earliest, if the amendment or even the bill itself survives.

And the OIC challenges hearing will happen in April 2023.

We can all wait for and repeat the doomsday message for another 9 months or go enjoy ourselves.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    I have done some reading on the 5.7x28mm and almost 100% of it comes back with the same thing: either the cartridge was designed for, or the perfect barrel length was figured out to be, around 10.5 inches (about 268mm). Due to this all factory ammunition is designed for complete powder burn at about 9-10 inches. There are speculations that any barrel over 16.5 inches is useless and there will be velocity drops, but that is scarce because no one in the USA (where these things come from) puts over a 16.5 inch barrel on 5.7x28mm chambered guns. There are some actual mentions that handgun barrel lengths results in improper powder burn when using factory ammunition which is designed for the 10.5 inch barrel.

In other words, the 5.7x28mm works absolute best in a 10.5 inch barrel and doesn't seem to work optimally in anything over 16.5 inches... and Canada's gun laws suck sh!t.

There is a difference between full combustion of the powder and the point where velocity drops. 308 can have full combustion within 18" but velocity keeps going well past 40".

16" is largely considered the sweet spot for 22lr for max velocity (although this varies by ammo used), so I would think this cartridge is still going to be accelerating for some time past that point.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ipscshooters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    This is a great question.

But, if it is she will be banned shortly.......
    All the more reason to buy one

I agree with all of you, I would like one of these bad-boys!

In saying that, if one buys a restricted version the b@g-lickers will know you have it. A Canadian compliant model they won't.

Although it is easy to say just buy and enjoy for nine months, what happens if this unjust law is passed?

Then more gun-owners have more expensive paperweights.

They can't take away what they do not know you have!.......

Buy non-restricted firearms and tell trudy to suck it.
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    I agree with all of you, I would like one of these bad-boys!

In saying that, if one buys a restricted version the b@g-lickers will know you have it. A Canadian compliant model they won't.

Although it is easy to say just buy and enjoy for nine months, what happens if this unjust law is passed?

Then more gun-owners have more expensive paperweights.

They can't take away what they do not know you have!.......

Buy non-restricted firearms and tell trudy to suck it.
    They'll know you bought it regardless (or at least they'll be able to know, it will take some leg work for NR, although not much of IRG is the only one selling them). They won't know you kept it if it's NR though.

I would expect dlask or someone to do NR barrels if these make it into the country before c21 passes. But who knows...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

After some substantial investigating into ammunition's costs, this carbine will be expensive to feed.

Over $1.00 every time you pull the trigger.

Now the re-loaders are going to say roll your own and I agree. But, good luck finding your spent brass in grass or snow......
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

If this Canadian compliant why would you need to get an 18.6" barrel for it? Is it restricted? I thought all restricteds were off the table?
    Last edited by Scott Bear; 12-19-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    ...and I know everything that shines ain't always gonna be gold.