Grace Period Confusion

Portholimu

New User
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused on the Grace period for expired PAL/RPAL. If your RPAL expires while your application for renewal is being processed are you considered to be in the grace period and thus not able to use/acquire firearms?

in the firearms act it says that there is a 6 month grace period with restrictions once your RPAL/PAL expires.

However on the RCMP individual Web Services online renewal help guide is says that if you submit your application before the expiry that you will not loose any privileges' associated with your license due to expiry. however I don't see that spelled out in the Firearms act. I'm inclined to think that this help guide is false or misleading or maybe I'm missing somthing.

I have multiple transfers pending since August 2022, and I also have submitted my application for a RPAL renewal but it looks like my RPAL is going to expire before it gets completed.. I'm worried that they will take too long to complete my renewal and it will cause issues with my transfers.

From Firearms act:

Term of licences

64 (1) A licence that is issued to an individual who is eighteen years old or older expires on the earlier of

(a) five years after the birthday of the holder next following the day on which it is issued, and

(b) the expiration of the period for which it is expressed to be issued.

Extension period

(1.1) Despite subsection (1), if a licence for firearms is not renewed before it expires, the licence is extended for a period of six months beginning on the day on which it would have expired under that subsection.

No use or acquisition

(1.2) The holder of a licence that is extended under subsection (1.1) must not, until the renewal of their licence, use their firearms or acquire any firearms or ammunition.

From RCMP Individual WEB Services renewal help guide:

Section 5.3(4)

By Submitting your renewal application BEFORE the expiry date you are in compliance with the Firearms Act to retain a valid licence. Even if your application requires processing or investigation which would mean your licence cannot be issued before the expiry date on your (seems like a typo) will not lose the privileges associated to your licence due to expiry.

Think of it this way. If your drivers license expires, is it valid? No. You're legally are not allowed to drive, till you renew. All the grace period is prevent criminal charges of poession without a license.

Last edited:
indeed
I called the CFO on this very case and they told me "you can't take the guns out of the dwelling". Too bad, so sad.
no hunting this season for me :(

Back
Top Bottom