Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Norinco M334 Mauser in 308

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Great North Guns View Post
    Most likely any large ring Mauser base but we will confirm. To the people who want us to sell well below dealer pricing… not possible! I consider it a miracle that they’re less than 700$. I wish gold was back at 1500$ also.
    A tikka T3 blued can be had for 849 on sale. I think selling one of these anywhere near 700 would be an epic joke myself.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dagc View Post
    One question that I can't find the answer to. What is the base D&T'd for? Thank you.
    From my experience, all Norcs are coming with the bases. Question is, why is it not included?

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbaitron View Post
    A tikka T3 blued can be had for 849 on sale. I think selling one of these anywhere near 700 would be an epic joke myself.
    Just because it would be a stupid buy doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense as a price. Things cost what they cost because of real factors. In this case it isn't 700$ because of the Chinese labor factor and the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzhanzel View Post
    From my experience, all Norcs are coming with the bases. Question is, why is it not included?
    I don't know why, but it should be, given that the thread is not standard and it can't take standard large ring mauser bases.

Shop: https://greatnorthgunco.ca/

Consignments welcome in the National Capital Region!

“Christianity preaches the infinite worth of that which is seemingly worthless and the infinite worthlessness of that which is seemingly so valued.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
    Dumb question... this Youtuber's deets state he is based in the U.S.A. So how does he get Canadian guns?

I like his Youtube work. Practical, low key, straight talk. Very nice. But was curious as to his location. Where he shoots looks very much like "somewhere in the Canadian Rockies".

Quote Originally Posted by dagc View Post
    Dumb question... this Youtuber's deets state he is based in the U.S.A. So how does he get Canadian guns?

I like his Youtube work. Practical, low key, straight talk. Very nice. But was curious as to his location. Where he shoots looks very much like "somewhere in the Canadian Rockies".
    Not sure why it states he's in the US, but he's Canadian and lives on Vancouver Island in BC if I'm not mistaken. He regularly deals with Reliable Gun in Vancouver. I too enjoy his videos, they're very calming and informative.

Weaver 46 front and 24 rear fit. I retapped the holes to 10-32 because I like it sturdy. The previous thread was some unknown metric super fine. Since I went with larger diameter 10-32 bolts I had to drill out the scope base holes a bit, but it's probably even more strong and secure.

Quote Originally Posted by SquealingMoose View Post
    Not sure why it states he's in the US, but he's Canadian and lives on Vancouver Island in BC if I'm not mistaken. He regularly deals with Reliable Gun in Vancouver. I too enjoy his videos, they're very calming and informative.
    I enjoy his videos as well. I thought he was American but comes up to BC regularly.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by inawoods90 View Post
    Weaver 46 front and 24 rear fit. I retapped the holes to 10-32 because I like it sturdy. The previous thread was some unknown metric super fine. Since I went with larger diameter 10-32 bolts I had to drill out the scope base holes a bit, but it's probably even more strong and secure.

Does anyone have a video on how to take the bolt apart for cleaning? The instructions that came with the gun are useless. Looks like a tang safety. There is no flag safety that usual Mausers have, so do I have to hook the bolt on a ledge and pull & twist really hard? Help?

=========

I picked up one of these on clearance. After shipping + GST it was just over $500 to my door. I'm in Alberta so we don't pay PST.

Trigger is a trigger pack but it was set at a nice 4 pound pull. Has the tiniest creep then a clean break. Will leave it there. The creep is only noticeable when shooting off bench, when freehanding I don't notice it.

Took it to the range today and fired 25 shots and consistently got about 2" or less groups using the iron sights. Was firing Campro FMJ BT's 147gr with a light charge, so ammo isn't match-grade. So accuracy isn't a problem.

The action is controlled-round-feed. Stock comes with sling studs, semi-pistol grip and unpadded butt plate. I like the floorplate -- for hunting and utility rifles a separate magazine is too easy to lose when traipsing through the woods.

The good: Reliable, goes bang every time. Nicely accurate. Good single stage trigger which looks adjustable. Rear sight is easily adjustable for windage by loosening 2 little screws. Spent casings came out without evidence of headspace or chamber problems -- primers were not popped out, case bodies were not damaged or scratched. Nice and light, just over 7 pounds unloaded. Handy short rifle length -- total length is just under 44". Where else are you going to get a new Mauser rifle for $500 these days?

The bad: Action is rough, but it's a Norinco and I knew about this. Spent casings eject but not well -- per above I need to take the bolt apart and clean it.

The ugly: The stock is not the prettiest, which we all knew about. But it is very useable. No one buys a Norinco for its good looks anyway. I took the gun apart and doused the stock inside and out with raw linseed oil and let it dry for 3 days.

My LGS did have the 2 weaver bases, so thanks Inawoods. I picked them up as they were only $13 combined. I'm not skillful enough to re-tap/drill so will keep with iron sights for now.

Conclusion: Like all Norinco's the action is rougher but certainly useable. But Norinco's are legendary for their toughness. So I get a brand new Mauser weighing just over 7 pounds, 22" barrel but handy <44" including stock, useful for back country hiking/camping, which my kids do in the Rockies. And it's so cheap and robust I don't have to worry about the gun falling on rocks.

So how do I take this bolt apart...?
    Last edited by dagc; 07-09-2023 at 12:22 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123