Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: USMC Tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic87 View Post
    Lol alright fair enough, so hows the quality of the pricier ones on site
    You would do well with the subject tent of this post. And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a one time restock. These are no longer made and haven’t been for awhile. Even the ACU one man shelters are probably pretty good quality but it’s ACU camo so……
    God doesn't believe in Atheists

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Marine tents are Now In Winnipeg. Most Likely Monday they will arrive here.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Big JD-From the hills's Avatar
    The usgi improved combat shelter is a good enough unit. I purchased that and the usmc tcop, along with a lightfighter last year. The lightfighter is a pos(fly seam just ripped in half) thankfully ebay seller let me return it.

Ok one thing I learned is that the coatings(on all tents) will degrade, even if it's new/unused. Thankfully the improved shelter was and is great shape. My usmc tcop is degraded badly. The inner coating is sticky and flaking peeling off.... outside and material wise it's mint. Same with a usmc tarp in marpat.... too bad it's really sweet looking. I have cleaned and applied some polyurethane(like the wood finish crap) to the inside of the tcop fly..... so we will see how that works out.

I have been using my improved shelter off of the motorcycle, and for multi day trips on the jon boat up rivers ect. It's a bit of a strange little tent, but I like it. I would also like to aquire a non degraded tcop, or maybe I should try one of the two man. As far as I'm aware there isn't anything on the market for a true 4 season tent that isn't in some color that would be found teletubbie epesode.
    Last edited by Big JD-From the hills; 02-09-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    Tents are now available to order.

Click on the link.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Big JD-From the hills View Post
    The usgi improved combat shelter is a good enough unit. I purchased that and the usmc tcop, along with a lightfighter last year. The lightfighter is a pos(fly seam just ripped in half) thankfully ebay seller let me return it.

Ok one thing I learned is that the coatings(on all tents) will degrade, even if it's new/unused. Thankfully the improved shelter was and is great shape. My usmc tcop is degraded badly. The inner coating is sticky and flaking peeling off.... outside and material wise it's mint. Same with a usmc tarp in marpat.... too bad it's really sweet looking. I have cleaned and applied some polyurethane(like the wood finish crap) to the inside of the tcop fly..... so we will see how that works out.

I have been using my improved shelter off of the motorcycle, and for multi day trips on the jon boat up rivers ect. It's a bit of a strange little tent, but I like it. I would also like to aquire a non degraded tcop, or maybe I should try one of the two man. As far as I'm aware there isn't anything on the market for a true 4 season tent that isn't in some color that would be found teletubbie epesode.
    The polyurethane coatings on tents degrade over time. I have a couple of older consumer tents that are unusable because of this. They smell like a goat and are no longer water proof. That experience makes me not so keen on buying used older tents. I'd like to know what condition the 2 man and 1 man tents are in wrt to the coatings.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Big JD-From the hills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
    The polyurethane coatings on tents degrade over time. I have a couple of older consumer tents that are unusable because of this. They smell like a goat and are no longer water proof. That experience makes me not so keen on buying used older tents. I'd like to know what condition the 2 man and 1 man tents are in wrt to the coatings.
    Yeah its going to be like buying a used car battery lol.... depending on how it was stored.... could be good. Unused and Cooked in a warehouse for 2 decades... probably trash. Sad because these are well constructed items. I haven't given up on mine just yet, my polyurethane re coat might have cured it, but I have to get atleast one season out of it to determine if it's atleast a temporary fix.

I bought my TCOP which was several years old but unused on EBay, maybe 2 years ago. It’s mint. But I also store it loose and open in a large container to let it “breathe” sort to speak.
    God doesn't believe in Atheists

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456