Thread: Ambiguous PAL Background Question

Ambiguous PAL Background Question

Anyone applied for a PAL recently and seen this question?

"Do you know if you have ever been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere?"

This wording is crazy. The answer is yes, I know that I have not been reported to the police or social services. So, no, I have not been reported to the police or social services.

So... maybe yes? Maybe no? Who the hell wrote this question?

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Janeau's Avatar
    The only answer is no.
    But if you lie..you are done.
    Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeau View Post
    The only answer is no.
    But if you lie..you are done.
    Easy.
    This isn't about lying, but I assumed the answer they are looking for is a "no".

The point is that the way this is worded means that a "yes" or a "no" is ambiguous in meaning. I can't believe this wording is on their application form!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    How would you EVER know for certain that you've NEVER been reported?

Seems to me that no is the only possible answer.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer legi0n's Avatar
    why not just ask: have you ever been reported for... such and such?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Do you still beat your wife. Yes or no.
    I dislike having a battle of wits when my opponent comes unarmed....it just seems so unsportsmanlike!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Here is an idea. They know their system is f'ed and doesn't provide all or accurate info and they want you to out yourself. Or they had a breach or a crash and their system lost data. Its not like its the first time this has happened.
    I dislike having a battle of wits when my opponent comes unarmed....it just seems so unsportsmanlike!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespw View Post
    ...I know that I have not been reported to the police or social services...
    I deduce from your statement that you assume that - had it ever happened - you would have been informed (of that fact) by someone, but that is not necessarily the case.

It could have happened, or not, but if you have no knowledge or information of it having happened, your presumed-correct answer is correct, because "No", you do not know.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Quote Originally Posted by jamespw View Post
    Anyone applied for a PAL recently and seen this question?

"Do you know if you have ever been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere?"

This wording is crazy. The answer is yes, I know that I have not been reported to the police or social services. So, no, I have not been reported to the police or social services.

So... maybe yes? Maybe no? Who the hell wrote this question?

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**
    Yes, RCMP good English speak.

I see your confusion with the wording, however, like other have noted, unless you have been reported and know about it, simply answer no.

Good luck with your application.