Pick Up a Handgun from Store - Newbie's Q and A

candc

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Thanks for everyone's advice, I managed to own my first handgun without too much stress. Now I'd like to give back to the community by summarizing what i learned and experienced when picking up my handgun from the store. Please note that this may only apply to the type of gun i bought and the store that i went. Mine is a brand new Sig Sauer P320, bought in a store in GTA (not online order).

Q: How long is the wait?
A: from the time of my order (end of July 2022) to the time i got the transfer notification (end of Dec), it took exactly 5 months.

Q: What do you need to pick up?
A:
- You need to wait for the "Transfer Notification" issued by the Chief Firearms Office. The email may come faster than the paper notification. So, watch for an email from "Canadian Transfer Firearms". You can show this email to the store staff to pick up your gun. You don't have to wait for the paper notification.
- Remember to bring you PAL with you.
- and the receipt of your purchase.

Q: What do you check when pick up?
A:
- check the series number on the gun to match the number on your notification.
- check if the accessories listed when you bought the gun are included. For example, mine includes a box and 2 magazines. (also, there is a trigger cable lock at the bottom of the foam but it's not listed).
- you can do some basic checking, such as insert the magazine to see if it fits, #### the gun (pull the slice to the rearmost and lock into that position) and slide release it. Do not point the gun at anyone.
- other than that, there is really not much to check for a new gun, unless there is a big scratch on the gun. But to be honest, what can you do if you see a scratch? The gun is already transferred to you, so it's yours already.
- for your peace of mind, of course you will see if that's the same model that you ordered. and if there is any obvious missing part. but i can't imagine that it will happen.
- you are not allowed to test shoot, so, again, there's really not much you can check.

Q: Is there a warranty?
A:
- this is really a question I should have asked when I put down the order. I forgot to ask because at the time i bought the gun, i was happy that they even have one for me at the time when it was sold out everywhere else.
- so it turned out that there is no official warranty from Sig Sauer, because we can't bring the gun to the US to repair. So, don't expect to see a warranty card like when you buy a TV.
- However, the store staff told me that the warranty is 1 year. If there's anything wrong with the gun, I can call them, and they will arrange with the Canadian importer for me.

Q: What else should I buy with the gun?
A:
- a lock for the box. or buy a new box with lock. You may find a cable lock inside the box under the foam. But that is actually a trigger lock, not for the box.
- you may want to buy a new trigger lock with passcode on it to replace the cable lock.
- you may want to buy a pack of snap cap (dummy bullets) so that you can play with your toy at home for practice.
- you can also buy some real bullets, if the price is good.
- I suggest you check the store's website before you go to ensure they have these in stock, with fair price.

Q: Anything else to watch for?
A:
- I suggest to drive home immediately after the pick up. Don't plan a trip to a grocery store, a friend's house, workplace, or anything like that. You don't want to leave your handgun in the trunk somewhere out of your sight. So go straight home.

Q: Where can i test shoot?
A: only at shooting range. Ensure they allow pistols. Buy a membership there, or find a friend who can bring you there.

That's all i can think of now. Right or wrong, that's my personal experience only and just for your reference. Welcome to add anything. Thx.

Q: Where can i test shoot?
A: only at shooting range. Ensure they allow pistols. Buy a membership there, or find a friend who can bring you there.

FYI - Most shooting ranges do NOT allow you to bring your own restricted firearms if you are a guest.

you can do some basic checking, such as insert the magazine to see if it fits, #### the gun (pull the slice to the rearmost and lock into that position) and slide release it.

Not a good idea, dropping the slide can damage internals, sear for sure which can lead to hammer follow

Last edited:
- I suggest to drive home immediately after the pick up. Don't plan a trip to a grocery store, a friend's house, workplace, or anything like that. You don't want to leave your handgun in the trunk somewhere out of your sight.

If you must stop, for gas as an example, out of site in the trunk is exactly where you want it and exactly what the transport regulations say.

OP...thanks for this detail personal experience information. It will be handy for my first purchase. May I ask which store?

I know I need to carry my restricted registration with the firearm. Is a photocopy ok or does it have to be the original? How about a digital copy?

Are you trying to prove a point? It doesn't specify either original, copy, or digital. But I've heard anecdotal stories from other users who have done one of either with or without success. I'm just looking for what most people do.

Are you trying to prove a point? It doesn't specify either original, copy, or digital. But I've heard anecdotal stories from other users who have done one of either with or without success. I'm just looking for what most people do.

Most people don't take chances and don't get creative. The certificate comes to you on paper. Have the original with you, keep a copy at home.

Back
Top Bottom