Thread: Poor experience, beware

CGN Regular

Poor experience, beware

I was interested in a SxS listed on the website and emailed with a few basic questions about it. I didn't hear back right away, but figured I would order it as there seemed to be minimal risk with the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I called and left a message asking to call me before shipping the shotgun. After not receiving the info I was looking for that day, I emailed again, and got the photos of the proof stamps I was requesting. There was an issue with the proof stamps that made me uncomfortable, so I requested to cancel the order.

Long story short, they charged me an $82 (3%) "restocking fee" for something that never left their stock - apparently to cover credit card fees, which I've never heard of from another retailer. I could understand not refunding the shipping fees if they had actually shipped it, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

Not necessarily trying to brush off your experience, but yes, that is fairly common; there actually was a law passed earlier this year specifically about this. Card processing fees are wildly expensive and vary hugely, anywhere from 3 - 6%. I don't agree with passing this on the customer, but yea, they get you both sides so from a business I can see it. One store I worked at in BC started doing this as well for refunds.
    "Armed with will and determination, and grace too."

Support the CCFR; they are the best chance we have right now, the number doesn't matter, donate what you can! We are all in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by buji88 View Post
    Not necessarily trying to brush off your experience, but yes, that is fairly common; there actually was a law passed earlier this year specifically about this. Card processing fees are wildly expensive and vary hugely, anywhere from 3 - 6%. I don't agree with passing this on the customer, but yea, they get you both sides so from a business I can see it. One store I worked at in BC started doing this as well for refunds.
    It sucks but this is the truth.
    Within the Vacuum of Infinity...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    If a business charges your card and then has to refund it they're still paying fees on the transactions. A 3% restocking fee is small (and likely doesn't even make them whole), I've seen up to 20% listed on some sites.

If you read the refund policy it clearly states restocking fee up to 10% may be applied. IMO Intersurplus did nothing wrong here.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .30/06 FTW's Avatar
    I get that you aren't happy about this, but it's all on you. You could have avoided it if you didn't place the order before getting the info you wanted. 3% honestly seems fair since in their policy they say up to 10%. I see it as the same as running my club's IPSC matches. We take payment through Practiscore which uses Stripe as a payment processor. They charge fees. If you pull out of the match, that's on you, not the club, so we'll refund you but it won't be the full amount because Stripe takes their cut and doesn't refund the full amount. In fact they take about 4% (but that's worth the convenience of not handling cash or EMTs).

Some business's are not accepting CC's unless you are willing to pay the fees in addition to the price. Retail sales of certain products have such a low margin now that 3% is more than the profit made, taking a CC would result in a loss. Not speaking for this business or the OP, just adding some information to the topic.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

CGN Regular
    My main issue is that the gun was listed as 2 3/4" but the proofs show 2 1/2" - its not that I got the gun and just changed my mind. I don't disagree that I should have read the fine print more closely - perhaps the "up to 10% restocking fee" should be clarified as "3% minimum fee on refunded orders."

Anyhow, Denis seems like a nice guy to talk to, and I wish the gun had worked out as described, but I feel I needed to share my experience with folks here so others don't run into the same issue as I did.

Super Moderator
    OK, you placed the order before the chamber length was clarified, then cancelled your order, and you expect the business to eat the C.C. fee.

Further, "Trade related disputes ... with CGN business members shall not be discussed in the forums."

Seeing as this thread is in Intersurplus' forum, they can respond or reopen if they wish.

Super Moderator