Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde 12ga Ghost Ring Sights

I have a 590 Retrograde and am awaiting my 590A1 Retrograde (ordered through Wolverine a year ago, sorry Tillsonberg!). Highly recommend these, the basic 590 works great and looks perfect. The heatshield is practical, the wood looks beautiful. If you're on the fence (as mentioned in a previous post) you definitely need to hop off on the side of buying one of these.

What does everyone use this size of barrel for?

The 20" barrel is a bit of a Goldielocks compromise. Longer barrels are better for velocity and patterning at distance (Fowlers), However, 28"+ barrels can be an impediment when moving through forest (Deer stalking).

The 590A1 is a military specification, I believe U.S. Navy (for the Marine Corp), so I have no idea why they specified a 20" barrel, but if I were asked to guess, it may have something to do with men repelling a boarding party on a ship? Dozens of guys running and trying to get through interior doors and hatches from the armoury to the deck with 28" barrelled shotguns in hand would no doubt be cumbersome? Just a guess?

I've been told they asked for heavy barrels because a bump against a steel bulkhead (and there are many aboard a ship) dents and bends lesser barrels.

I love mine btw, and will be taking it out this weekend to run it through its paces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom