Thread: Tommybuilt conversion kits

CGN Regular

Tommybuilt conversion kits

I have a Canadian market SL8-5 (so it already has the double stack magazine). I am trying to figure out how I go about getting the XL8 conversion done. I'm not interested in re-profiling the barrel so I am under the assumption that the rest of it is more or less bolt together, in any event I will probably have a local gunsmith do the work.

Is importing these parts something Irunguns does?

Thanks

There are several problems with your request.
    It's a lot more than "bolt(ing) together" parts.
    Tommybuilt conversions take the rear section of a G36 receiver and "graft" it on with industrial polymer adhesives.
    The difference between an SL8 receriver and an XM8 receiver are even greater. You can't simply convert a standard G36 to XM8 configuration, much less an SL8. The upper carry handle and the handguard, which are both integral to the receiver, are completely different. On that note, when you look on the Tommyhuilt website, their XM8 conversion involves completely recontouring the receiver profile, and using parts of an XM8 kit. Keep in mind this is work by someone who specializes in HK conversions and works with that kind of polymer.
    Your last problem is sourcing the XM8 parts to even do this with. Last time I saw XM8 parts for sale, they were extremely expensive. I believe Tommybuilt is making kits inhouse now, but they're about the cost of an SL8, and good luck finding one in stock.
    If you can find a kit, get IRG to bring it in, and find a smith that can do the work, which are extremely few and far between in this country, you'll be looking at over 6K in the rifle at least, and I doubt that you're interested in that considering you don't even want to have the barrel reprofiled.
    Last edited by Yaboisharkmouse; 02-05-2023 at 10:36 PM.

CGN Regular
    Wolverine Supplies had a guy that specialized in HK. I had them do some custom work on the trigger group. That was 10 years ago, so I'm not sure about now. Parts took over a year to source.

BE careful what you wish for. I know of a CGNer who had the Tommybuilt XM-8 Conversion Kit and I personally was not impressed. The fitment between the various pieces of Receiver cladding was pretty poor, and the long, arcing Carry Handle had a LOT of flex in it, almost to the point of not wanting to support the firearm's weight. What he received for the price that he paid, plus the currency conversion, plus the importation, was pretty poor. I certainly wouldn't have been happy with what I received for the money spent...

Forewarned is forearmed....
    Mark C