Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping cost, the good, the bad and the ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey1 View Post
    a lot of stuff could go in a Canada Post prepaid box of $18.00,,most businesses are to lazy to bother,after all YOU are paying shipping,so what do they care,not to mention Canada Post is the most corrupt outfit out there,LOL.
    Around $20 after tax, but neither here nor there. The main thing with businesses is with a flat rate box you can't add a signature. Although the amount of people who do it might be small, but there are people who will claim their parcel never arrived, or got stolen. Without a signature parcels will be dropped off on doorsteps, and things happen. Now what do you want the business to do if your parcel isn't at your door? Want them to eat the $500 item and send you a new one, or will you be happy to order again on your dime? For the extra $10 on your end, you save everyone a headache. Now if you could have a signature on flat rate boxes, I agree, more businesses should be utilizing them.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by K1LLswitch View Post
    I shipped a “smallish” item with Canada Post yesterday (12x12x3, 5lbs) using my small business account and it cost me $50 before insurance. That was $36 of shipping, a $12 fuel surcharge and tax.

I don’t disagree $30 to ship a $40 item sucks, but it’s not the retailers fault shipping is insane right now.
    Fuel surcharge I got a $8-$9 on a frigging small box

Absolute rip off

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerTech View Post
    Around $20 after tax, but neither here nor there. The main thing with businesses is with a flat rate box you can't add a signature. Although the amount of people who do it might be small, but there are people who will claim their parcel never arrived, or got stolen. Without a signature parcels will be dropped off on doorsteps, and things happen. Now what do you want the business to do if your parcel isn't at your door? Want them to eat the $500 item and send you a new one, or will you be happy to order again on your dime? For the extra $10 on your end, you save everyone a headache. Now if you could have a signature on flat rate boxes, I agree, more businesses should be utilizing them.
    More and more I shop on amazon for this reason

I get it, retailers have to charge you shipping but man every fricking order is like $20-$30 shipping. And I can get it for free on say amazon... #### that lol

Yup, although there are still lots of items you can't find on Amazon, or if you can find them they are priced better on other retailers sites. This is particular for firearm accessories and parts, not so much household items.

It is a bummer when you just want an $5-$25 item and you'd have to pay $30 to have it shipped. I've gotten into the habit of just making a list of the smaller items I need and placing a bulk order from a retailer that has everything in stock. Helps when some bigger stores have a free shipping threshold and you can just order everything at once with no shipping cost. Now that won't benefit the impatient, but you find ways to combat these shipping prices.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    A small item worth $40 can easily be shipped flat rate box and insurance up to $100 is included. Cost is $20 after taxes Canada wide.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ipscshooters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy1014 View Post
    Canada is just one giant rip off. From housing to food, telecoms, internet, gasoline, insurance. It has been this way for many years not just "covid inflation".

Our most recent economic policy was written by the Royal Commission on Economic Development Prospects for Canada, published in 1985 and hasn't changed since.

Is it any wonder the cost of living is so expensive? We haven't adapted. Think about what was going on in the world back than, alot has changed in 35 years
    We have the highest cable TV and cell phone bills in the world

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I can have a stock shipped from california in the usa for cheaper product cost, cheaper shipping, and it gets here before an order from AB/BC

Assuming CBSA doesn't decide to stick it up their collective arses for a month

At least Australia and NZ have the excuse of being isolated island/continents. Canadians just expect to be boned. A weird source of pride of not being American, the inclination to like being bent over by the feds.

I'm rambling because I'm bored, don't take anything seriously.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

CGN Regular
    The insane cost of shipping is why I don't buy much off of the EE any more.
    Items such as a set of dies or a box or two of bullets, the shipping cost ends up
    being as much or more than the individual item. No thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipscshooters View Post
    We have the highest cable TV and cell phone bills in the world
    JT promised this would change, hmm but that was before the election.

When travelling in crap hole countries, I just buy a sim card for $1 and reload it as needed, no more than $10/month and you get like 10 GB of data. Sat TV is maximum $10/month for 200 channels, less channels is $5, a whole sat system with antenna/receiver/remote and installation is around $70 with one free month unlimited channels.

Europe is kind of in between, similar prices as the US and you have high speed Internet everywhere on you phone.

Canada is the world leader, at least in something.

Quote Originally Posted by redflagmat View Post
    Some shops absorb the shipping cost into the price of item. They aren’t getting cheaper shipping likely, just taking a loss on the cost and subsidizing it through their product cost.
    Wrong, The larger stores are working on volume contracts with their shippers , Makes a big difference.
    Mind you they will also have deals for their customers. Last 2 yrs things have got silly, and I am out of the game.
    Small business accounts don't get much off at all.
    It costs the same amount to ship a 10.oo mag or set of rings as it does a small package worth 2000.oo
    So buying a 10.oo mag on line , you are going to have a $30-40 mag, not a damn thing the seller can do about it.

I bought a small mag I needed for a small pistol, Switzers had one ,so bought it, cost 30.oo. In my shop it was 60.oo, but customer was willing to pay that much, I did not make a cent on it. But that is fine. Local fellow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast