How to select good enouhg scope

GChorny23

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Having question about proper scope selection for the rifles - bolt action Tikka T3X and semi-auto Browning BAR MK3. Initially I thought about 2 same ones for each rifle but later realized that the usage for each rifle a bit different. I think Tikka is "single shot" action for average distance approx 150-200 meters (sometimes up to 300). MK3 looks like is good for more "dynamic" usage on 50-150 meters distance (sometimes up 200m - and not because it's bad, just because of it's for different hunting scenarios).

Would it be possible to get the explanations for
(1) what kind of options the scopes for each rifle should have
and
(2) how to differentiate good scopes from bad ones - like manufacturers, models, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

I looked on Amazon for a laser scope, and the Pinty has several models and price ranges. It seems to have good ratings there, does anyone here use that brand?

I would have done a search but I'm not used to this forum yet and can't find that function.

Thanks

... as soon as I typed that I saw the search function... sorry

Last edited:
While I am certainly no expert, I would say that your assumption that the Tikka T3X is a "single shot" is incorrect. Like any bolt action rifle it won't be as fast to chamber subsequent rounds as a semi-auto like the BAR, but with practice you can certainly get off multiple shots at game if that is your use case. The objective in any case is to have a "1 and done". In other words one shot and the animal is down and dead. Even getting off multiple shots with the BAR might not be possible at closer ranges depending on the type of land you are hunting. In any event, the range of both rifles is dependent on the ammunition they are chambered for and you didn't mention that.

I would suggest that first you need to determine the philosophy of use (POU) for each firearm. Are you just punching paper? If so, at what range? Are you hunting? If so at what max range are you comfortable shooting at game? Perhaps that range is within the maximum point blank range of the cartridge you are using. If so you maybe you want just a basic cross hair reticle. Based on the range that you will typically shoot at, and the accuracy desired, figure out what kind of magnification you want. A lot of hunters still use 3-9x40 scopes. If you are hunting long range, perhaps you will want a 4-12, 4-16, or even a 6-18 or higher. Then you have to determine if you want a first or second focal plane scope and the type of reticle you want. Both of these decisions are largely based on your POU. If possible, try before you buy and certainly ask questions of people with the same POUs as to what works for them.

As for which scopes and manufacturers are good, the tried and true ones like Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss etc are good. Some others have had bad patches. I would definitely be skeptical of made in China scopes and consult reviews on youtube (cyclops for example) and other places like CGN to determine if particular scope makes and models in current production are any good before you buy one. Of course the amount you want to spend is also a major factor. Like all optics you can spend a lot more money to get slightly better glass, but only you can say if it's worth it. Having two identical scopes is not necessarily a bad idea because you only have to know how to use one model, and reticle when switching between rifles.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
The simple equation is that the more you spend on scopes, the better they will be. On the high end, you're paying a lot of money for very small improvements, but on the low end you're basically just throwing money away on scopes that will cause more frustration than they are worth. I've burned through more ammo than a decent scope would have cost me just by trying to figure out what the hell was going on with a bad scope. I find Leupold vx3 line hits a good value for dollars level for me. Vortex are okay once you look higher than the bottom few rungs of that particular ladder. If you have the budget, you literally can not go wrong with anything made by Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. Nightforce is also probably in that group these days.
For hunting at the ranges you've mentioned, a low minimum zoom is going to be important. I wouldn't personally go higher than a 4x as a minimum. A standard 3-9x40 with a basic duplex reticle would probably do you fine for quite a while, and you really wouldnt need much else until you start stretching the tikka out past 300 yards.

While I am certainly no expert, I would say that your assumption that the Tikka T3X is a "single shot" is incorrect. Like any bolt action rifle it won't be as fast to chamber subsequent rounds as a semi-auto like the BAR, but with practice you can certainly get off multiple shots at game if that is your use case. The objective in any case is to have a "1 and done". In other words one shot and the animal is down and dead. Even getting off multiple shots with the BAR might not be possible at closer ranges depending on the type of land you are hunting. In any event, the range of both rifles is dependent on the ammunition they are chambered for and you didn't mention that.

I would suggest that first you need to determine the philosophy of use (POU) for each firearm. Are you just punching paper? If so, at what range? Are you hunting? If so at what max range are you comfortable shooting at game? Perhaps that range is within the maximum point blank range of the cartridge you are using. If so you maybe you want just a basic cross hair reticle. Based on the range that you will typically shoot at, and the accuracy desired, figure out what kind of magnification you want. A lot of hunters still use 3-9x40 scopes. If you are hunting long range, perhaps you will want a 4-12, 4-16, or even a 6-18 or higher. Then you have to determine if you want a first or second focal plane scope and the type of reticle you want. Both of these decisions are largely based on your POU. If possible, try before you buy and certainly ask questions of people with the same POUs as to what works for them.

As for which scopes and manufacturers are good, the tried and true ones like Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss etc are good. Some others have had bad patches. I would definitely be skeptical of made in China scopes and consult reviews on youtube (cyclops for example) and other places like CGN to determine if particular scope makes and models in current production are any good before you buy one. Of course the amount you want to spend is also a major factor. Like all optics you can spend a lot more money to get slightly better glass, but only you can say if it's worth it. Having two identical scopes is not necessarily a bad idea because you only have to know how to use one model, and reticle when switching between rifles.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

lhengen - thank you very much for provided info!

The simple equation is that the more you spend on scopes, the better they will be. On the high end, you're paying a lot of money for very small improvements, but on the low end you're basically just throwing money away on scopes that will cause more frustration than they are worth. I've burned through more ammo than a decent scope would have cost me just by trying to figure out what the hell was going on with a bad scope. I find Leupold vx3 line hits a good value for dollars level for me. Vortex are okay once you look higher than the bottom few rungs of that particular ladder. If you have the budget, you literally can not go wrong with anything made by Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. Nightforce is also probably in that group these days.
For hunting at the ranges you've mentioned, a low minimum zoom is going to be important. I wouldn't personally go higher than a 4x as a minimum. A standard 3-9x40 with a basic duplex reticle would probably do you fine for quite a while, and you really wouldnt need much else until you start stretching the tikka out past 300 yards.

Thanks a lot! :)

The amount of eye relief a scope has to offer is a good starting place to determine how the scope will fit into your hunting situation. Once the scope / rifle / ammo is zero-ed into the target - one doesn't really need a lot of power to hit a deer out to 300 yards. Look around and compare various scope makes, models and power levels. Typically 3 - 9 power is lots for most hunting situations. But less power is better then one may initially think it is.

The amount of eye relief a scope has to offer is a good starting place to determine how the scope will fit into your hunting situation. Once the scope / rifle / ammo is zero-ed into the target - one doesn't really need a lot of power to hit a deer out to 300 yards. Look around and compare various scope makes, models and power levels. Typically 3 - 9 power is lots for most hunting situations. But less power is better then one may initially think it is.

Thanks!

for good enough scopes anything leupold is good enough. Vortex diamond back series and up bushnell engage series and uo are all good enough. If you are looking at a relatively inexpensive scope the fewer options the better. Everything costs money if your on a budget better to spend it on usable optics and good mechanicals.

On the low end price it would be a Bushnell Banner 2 which comes in different configurations. Throw away the rings and get some Warne or Burris. For a bit more money, the Vortex diamondback are okay or a LVPO like a Vortex or Bushnell for the semi automatic. You have to find out what you like, the options are endless.

I have a couple Bushnell elite 4200's (2.5-10x40 and 3-9x40), which were discontinued quite some years ago. I haven't tried the newer elite 3500 or 4500, but my brother has a 4500 that he really likes. They're certainly not the cheapest or probably the lightest scopes in the world, but considering how good they are, I'd say they're a bargain for hunting scopes. Burris makes nice, compact rings that are pretty cheap too. I've got their steel Zee rings on a few rifles, and have never had an issue with them.
Kristian

There are a lot of review-type channels on YouTube. Affordable Optics is one of them. TiborasaurusRex is another.

<https://www.youtube.com/@EpikArms>

<https://www.youtube.com/@TiborasaurusRex>

I looked on Amazon for a laser scope, and the Pinty has several models and price ranges. It seems to have good ratings there, does anyone here use that brand?

I would have done a search but I'm not used to this forum yet and can't find that function.

Thanks

... as soon as I typed that I saw the search function... sorry

Those are trash and not suitable even for airsoft.

Back
Top Bottom