Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun Owner: Essentials for Cleaning and General Maintenance

New Gun Owner: Essentials for Cleaning and General Maintenance

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new here and will be a first time gun owner shortly (PAL recently approved).

I want to know what are the essential tools and supplies that you believe every new gun owner (and experienced gun owner) should have?

Do you have a specific cleaning kit recommendations?
    Are cleaning rods preferred over bore snakes, or should I have both?
    Is CLP the only thing needed to clean and lubricate? Or would you recommend having solvents and gun oil on hand?
    Are there specific tools that I should have? (punches, multi-tool etc.)
    Are gun vices worth the investment? (I live in a condo, so I am not sure this is something that would be workable due to space but am open to suggestions)

If you have any specific links to products that work for you and you would like to share as well, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help here!

GunNutz
    Watch this, ignore the specific firearm, make a note of principles and concepts, and you'll be good to develop your method.

I’ve been a huge fan of the Otis kits. I bought one new in about 1990 and have never looked back. Their cleaners are excellent and don’t smell bad.
    Buy once-cry once. Just buy good kit.
    Hi, my name is Mark and I'm a gun-whore.

Lots of videos on Youtube, lots of opinions.
    I went through with the same process is the last few weeks. New PAL, new rifle.
    Tools: check out all screws and fasteners on your rifle and get the appropriate bits. Something to torque in In/Lbs. I got the Fixit Stiks multi-torque adapter. Going to use a 1/4 wrench with it.
    Cleaning: That's where there's a ton of opinions. Get yourself known reputable cleaning supplies, Bore Tech, Pro-shot, KG solutions,...
    How to clean: that the worst for opinions, bronze brushes or not, nylon brushes....? check out your manufacturer's recommendations and use common sense. Good luck

BANNED
    I find most kits poor value: many items aren’t going to be used ever, especially if you only have 1-3 calibers.

A cheap 3-section brass cleaning rod with screw on patch adapters for various sizes will work ok for almost anything. Avoid steel and aluminium (aluminium oxide is very hard and abrasive). True connoisseurs prefer one-piece carbon fiber rods hand polished by virgins and lubricated with unicorn body secretions, sky is the limit. But a cheap brass rod will do for most people. Insert from the breech end.
    Boresnake is nice to have, especially for smaller calibers (.22LR, .223).
    G96 spray for 90% of cleaning.
    Hoppe’s bore cleaner solvent once in a while for cleaning copper residue from rifles.
    Bamboo skewers from the grocery store for cleaning action guts: spray a patch with G96, drag it through the corners and crevices with the pointed end of the skewer.
    Patches come in cotton and nonwoven synthetic, it helps to have both.
    A set of brass punches from Princess Auto is very useful. Get a small hammer as well.

Other specialized tools and wrenches are gun-specific usually. You will know when you need one.
    A small torque bit driver (bike shops carry these) will be needed for working on optic mounts and assembling some rifles.

As mentioned above, if you're going to own firearms that you'll be disassembling, having the right screwdriver set is vital. Learn to be patient and pick/use them carefully to avoid thrashing the screw heads. Cabela's has a decent selection so drop by for a look if you have one close to you.
    Slava Ukraini! Heroyam Slava!

Thank you for the replies, everyone. You have been extremely helpful.

Just some observations based on experience.

1. Caliber specific cleaning tools work better than an all-in-one solution with interchangeable parts...BUT...
    2. I would avoid the more gimmicky Bore Boss products. It looks great and it is per caliber, but there are some shortcomings in both the design and the methodology, primarily running that same cloth thing through dirty/clean barrel. Plus, the fitment is not exact - the .30 cal Bore Boss does not work in my SKS well and in fact got stuck really bad and now the metal cable thing is kind of bent. the 9mm ones are also meh. Sure they all come in a convenient travel package and seem innovative, but it's more marketing than anything else...which of course I fell for in buying an entire set of these things for various calibers.
    3. For maintenance wise, I'd suggest a FAT wrench so you can adjust the inch/pounds for torque to be exact
    4. Those 3-piece screw in extension rods drive me bonkers. Constantly constantly working themselves loose in the middle of cleaning, plus some of those bristle attachments are terrible - they break off with not much effort and get stuck in the barrel when paired with a patch
    5. Cleaner/lube - all sorts of selection, but most CLP is good - I have some OTIS ones. But for general use, I really like G96.
    6. Getting some good quality tool sets and punches would be of benefit.
    7. Up to you but I find having a pack of latex gloves to clean saves me from having to soil my dainty princess hands with fouling and cleaners, etc.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

I use a bore snake for my lever actions, my 22s and my shotguns. I use rod and patches for my precision rifles

Quote Originally Posted by vp6111 View Post
    Watch this, ignore the specific firearm, make a note of principles and concepts, and you'll be good to develop your method.
    **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**
    **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**
    Thanks it was very helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast