Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best General Purpose SHTF Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by nowarningshot View Post
    My thoughts exactly. You can be just as forthcoming and transparent as our federal government, cheap to shoot. Range to wrol distance, and in a emergency situation.....laws are suspended....behind the ear of a deer.
    +1 on a small light semi in 22lr. and a big box full of ammo.
    And in shtf situation you would probably be better off with something to hunt small game. What are you going to do with a bear or deer when you are on the move and have no fridge/freezer etc.?
    May 1st 2020, clear proof;
    Registration leads to confiscation!

22 for hunting, sks to protect the family.

If only one, SKS and a couple crates of ammo

I've been thinking about this but more as a way to ensure I always have an all purpose rifle to shoot regardless of ammo shortages and a hostile government.

I've had both an SKS and T81. Honestly my BBQ paint Russian SKS is more accurate, the refurbs look gross but they all have new chrome lined barrels. T81 is a fun gun but the only advantage it has over an SKS is the cool factor. Otherwise they are heavy, the mags are clunky and the sight radius is abysmal.

I also think a bolt gun in 7.62x39 is the ultimate future proof utility rifle. The semi-autos were nearly banned and could still be banned in the future. So buy an SKS while you can but I'd want a handy bolt action too.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    Bartok5, my friend, the guy talks about cheap ammo, while your suggestions are always awesome, most people don't have that much $$ to spend.

So SKS maybe in an Archangel stock and as a bolt action either a BCL MRX Bison or a Ruger Ranch, both in 7.62x39.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RossRifleNut View Post
    I've been thinking about this but more as a way to ensure I always have an all purpose rifle to shoot regardless of ammo shortages and a hostile government.

I've had both an SKS and T81. Honestly my BBQ paint Russian SKS is more accurate, the refurbs look gross but they all have new chrome lined barrels. T81 is a fun gun but the only advantage it has over an SKS is the cool factor. Otherwise they are heavy, the mags are clunky and the sight radius is abysmal.

I also think a bolt gun in 7.62x39 is the ultimate future proof utility rifle. The semi-autos were nearly banned and could still be banned in the future. So buy an SKS while you can but I'd want a handy bolt action too.

And trying to find a scope mount involves giving your first born away.

I also highly recommend the SBI mag release if you are using detachable mags on a SKS.

Another cool addition for a SKS is to shorten the barrel to 18.5 inches and put a muzzle brake on, looks cool.

Maverick security 88
    From slugs to number 9 trap loads it will cycle them all
    A 28 inch barrel that takes chokes for hunting as an add on

Shotgun would be the best all around firearm since you can use shot for small game and birds and slugs for larger animals and protection, A 20ga is smaller and lighter and less recoil while fitting more ammo in the same space as a 12ga

For rifles you would need a 22lr for hunting small game for food and a 308 minimum for hunting bigger game and protection in Canada, A 223 just isn't as useful when you have to deal with Moose, Cariboo, Bears, larger deer

Everyone always thinks about moose and deer for food when we're talking about SHTF, but I'm not even going to bother. I'm taking cattle if the need arises. A lot easier to find, and a lot dumber.
    "I probably don't know half as much about this as I think I do."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    There are infinite variables that would determine what is "best". Bug in vs Bug out. what is the emergency etc.

I have an SKS that i bought cheap and considered getting a good profit on but changed my mind as its my SHTF Zombie apocalypse gun
    I have a Ruger PCC in back packer that is my SHTF but i need to be discrete about things gun
    I have a 20/22 mag O/U that is my SHTF and i'm trying to put any meat i can on the table gun (id rather a 22lr /12 ga O/U for ammo availability but this gun was free so..)

I have lots of other run of the mill guns that im sure would do fine in a pinch.

Each has its pro's and cons based on the specific circumstance. So bet bet is to get a good wide selection !!!

I think of it like Knife, Fork, Spoon - 12ga, 7.62x39(or 308), 22lr have one of each.
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

If you want something more concealable, Tavor 7 would fit the bill nicely.
    Allthough a backpacker 10/22 would deffinitelly compliment your choice, as you could still hunt smaller game without attracting much attention to yourself.
    "Gun control" is a feel good term, which is designed to disquise the globalist disarmament efforts under the pretense of fighting crime.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast