Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best General Purpose SHTF Rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    A scout rifle is better suited in 556 or x39. Another is Ruger Ranch rifles in same calibers. All NR.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onig View Post
    I'm new here, what is "WROL"?
    WROL (Without Rule of Law)
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    The expression for 4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group in then West Germany was theirs would be a 'come as you are war'. Fight with what you've got, not what you dream about. Leopard 1s, M109s, Lynx recce vehicles, M113s and very ordinary trucks - and no plausible logistics tail. No wonder the Canadian government refused to deploy 4CMBG to the Gulf War.

Extend that forward to this conversation. Everyone has their go-to guns, and that is probably a very good start. Joe Blow Six-Pack the camo belly will have his deer rifle and duck gun. Johnny Punk might have his G-Lock with a fullauto switch. Bill Grayman the Prepper will have a gun in every backpack and bugout truck pocket. The smart guy will have what he knows and likes. Nothing gaudy or likely to attract attention. He'll just go about the gritty business of keeping his head down and the vermin at arms length.

A couple of my neighbours know about my guns. Most do not. I try to keep it that way. The ones who know actually are trained shooters, just not as well equipped as me! For a thousand reasons, I have to bug in, not bug out. So any engagement ranges will be close. Grim to say, but we'll just have to see what WROL gives us.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Shooter View Post
    The 22lr defensive rounds are usually designed to expand...but given the balistic limitations of this round, I would personally chose penetration over expansion, as acheiving both of those with a 22lr is likely not something you can count on.

When SHTF, your average CCI Mini-Mag is likely your best ticket, as the 40 grain round nose flying at 1235 fps (I think) seems to be the goldie lock type of a 22lr round for this scenario, not to mention it might feed more reliably, than the hollow points if using a semi, such as the 10/22.

I'm a big believer in "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" type of an approach and the 40 grain round nose is just that...perfect.
    Penetration. Aguilla SSS 60 grain.
    Canadian government runs on trans, ###s and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    The expression for 4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group in then West Germany was theirs would be a 'come as you are war'. Fight with what you've got, not what you dream about. Leopard 1s, M109s, Lynx recce vehicles, M113s and very ordinary trucks - and no plausible logistics tail. No wonder the Canadian government refused to deploy 4CMBG to the Gulf War.

Extend that forward to this conversation. Everyone has their go-to guns, and that is probably a very good start. Joe Blow Six-Pack the camo belly will have his deer rifle and duck gun. Johnny Punk might have his G-Lock with a fullauto switch. Bill Grayman the Prepper will have a gun in every backpack and bugout truck pocket. The smart guy will have what he knows and likes. Nothing gaudy or likely to attract attention. He'll just go about the gritty business of keeping his head down and the vermin at arms length.

A couple of my neighbours know about my guns. Most do not. I try to keep it that way. The ones who know actually are trained shooters, just not as well equipped as me! For a thousand reasons, I have to bug in, not bug out. So any engagement ranges will be close. Grim to say, but we'll just have to see what WROL gives us.
    CCI Mini Mags seem to function well and group well in all of my .22s, even the finicky ones. It's the recommended cartridge for my AA .22 LR conversion kit fir my GLOCK 17 and it runs perfectly.

But one rifle for bad times? It's a compromise rifle but I'd choose my 18 5" Rem 7600 in .308 Win. 1x8 illuminated LPVO in QD rings with a BDC reticle. Iron sights zeroed at 25 yards fir 150 gr ball.

Pic rail at 9 o'clock on the forend for a light.

It's versatile, ammo is common and it can handle small and big game up close or far away.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer infidel29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
    A couple of years ago, Federal released a .22LR version of their self-defense round, "Punch". I bought some but thought it was maybe more gimmicky than anything else, but since there, there have been some pretty positive reviews on the product with ballistic penetration and expansion tests being fairly impressive, given the limitations of the round.
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Shooter View Post
    The 22lr defensive rounds are usually designed to expand...but given the balistic limitations of this round, I would personally chose penetration over expansion, as acheiving both of those with a 22lr is likely not something you can count on.

When SHTF, your average CCI Mini-Mag is likely your best ticket, as the 40 grain round nose flying at 1235 fps (I think) seems to be the goldie lock type of a 22lr round for this scenario, not to mention it might feed more reliably, than the hollow points if using a semi, such as the 10/22.

I'm a big believer in "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" type of an approach and the 40 grain round nose is just that...perfect.
    Definitely agree with cz shooter here. Plus using a 22lr defensively I think would probably be an application of quantity over quality. That is, pepper the threat with ten rounds rapidly at minimum rather than hoping for a whizz bang novelty one hit stop.
    Pump actions speak louder than words.

Do you remember how hard the Liberals fought to keep the registry?
    Now you know why. - Dexter Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Onig View Post
    I'm new here, what is "WROL"?
    "Without rule of law"
    "I probably don't know half as much about this as I think I do."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gewehr76's Avatar
    Police state Ontario, sometimes on OPP patrolled 400
    GRAB MOSIN AND RUN IN TO THA WOODS.

If you run out of x54R you can always fire 30-30 and 308 out of it
    Je bastardise les deux langues officielles. I bastardise both official languages.
    Я наебываю оба официальных языка Канады

CGN Regular
    If Turdeau has his way all we'll have is sharpened sticks, if ever the shtf. I can just see it. We'll be discussing which wood works best.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234