Best General Purpose SHTF Rifle

lhengen

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several hunting rifles, but with the current hostility of the government towards legal gun owners both in Canada and the US, I am entertaining the idea of acquiring an MSR (Modern Sporting Rifle) while I still can. Would have loved to buy a Ruger Mini 30, but sadly I can't any more. I was initially thinking of a milsurp rifle, but they are so expensive these days and you can't mount scopes and other accessories very easily. Looking for suggestions on caliber and make/model of an MSR that has decent accuracy for a semi-auto. I am thinking 7.62 x 39 simply because it's closer to a 1 gun for all purposes than a 5.56 since you can't hunt large game with a 5.56/.223 in Canada. Cheap and available ammo is also a major consideration so I can practice at the range. Looks like prices may be starting to come down, but I'm not all that optimistic. There is enough unrest throughout the globe these days that I think most ammo will remain expensive and the government will likely limit what we can buy and make reloading harder and more expensive.

So what gun would you recommend in the event of a WROL situation?

Its a shtf rifle, use 556 to hunt if you want and use whatever else until then. Buy what you want and what you think you can carry more of

Its a shtf rifle, use 556 to hunt if you want and use whatever else until then. Buy what you want and what you think you can carry more of

Exactly.... You specifically stated WROL and then act concerned about laws... Also, there are plenty of places in Canada where you can in fact legally hunt big game with a 5.56. If we ever truly find ourselves in a situation where there is no rule of law, anything you have on hand will be the right thing to have. There will be no replacement parts or warranty service, so keep it as simple as possible. Multiple SKS's is a decent option, but so is a good bolt action.

True I did state WROL. I was thinking though that until that point I would like to be able to hunt with the rifle in order to be more proficient with it. A 5.56/.223 is not legal in my area for hunting and I don't think I would venture outside AB in a WROL scenario. Regardless of whether the SHTF or not, I would personally not hunt big game with a .223. I was looking for one general purpose gun with ammo that I could grab and go in a hurry, rather than pull out the contents of my safe.

Right now I have a Winchester Model 100 in .308 that I really like. Not the most accurate and of course no easy way to mount a flashlight or other accessories. Together with a bolt action and a .22, that is my current WROL/SHTF combo.

Thanks for the input.

AR10 is the idea weapon system for SHTF. From a Canadian context, any modular semi auto .308.

Tavor 7, APC, Famae etc. Going to cost you $3500+

My feeling for SHTF would be semi-auto .22 in a folding chassis. Easily conceivable, carry 300 rounds no problem, usable for small game, and could be used for self defence... and being unrestricted there is no record of ownership.

My feeling for SHTF would be semi-auto .22 in a folding chassis. Easily conceivable, carry 300 rounds no problem, usable for small game, and could be used for self defence... and being unrestricted there is no record of ownership.

My thoughts exactly. You can be just as forthcoming and transparent as our federal government, cheap to shoot. Range to wrol distance, and in a emergency situation.....laws are suspended....behind the ear of a deer.

If it is SHTF time, you want an AR10 as your reliable, accurate, and hard-hitting SHTF one-gun-to-do-everything platform, hands-down. That gives you single-shot hunting accuracy and knock-down power for all North American game animals as well as 2-legged predators, plus firepower in the event that those critters bring friends to the party. Any of the big names will suffice - Stag Arms, Colt USA, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company/BCM, etc, etc. They all make reliable and accurate aR10-style .308 AR platforms. Just make sure to get one that takes standard P=Mags as the most common magazine available in Canada.

You obviously won't be able to purchase a legal AR10 due to the current firearms ownership climate within Canada. That leaves you with 2 choices - on the one hand, you can ignore the law and purchase one of the many illegal AR10-style rifles floating around which were NR before the ban, so the government has no idea where they are or even if they exist. Of course, I would never counsel breaking the law, and such is forbidden here in any case. So don't risk your remaining freedom by going the illegal route. Instead, purchase a legal facsimile for the time being, then obtain the real thing when the SHTF and laws are out the window anyways. For a currently legal and obtainable option I recommend the Troy PAR 308. It is a pump-action .308 rifle with an AR10 form-factor that functions nearly as quickly as a semi-auto self-loader. Rugged and reliable (so long as you do your part), the Troy PAR 308 is an excellent choice for hunting and target shooting while you await WROL to kick-in. Check one out at a LGS to get a feel for the platform. I quite like my own.....

20230125-235303.jpg

My thoughts exactly. You can be just as forthcoming and transparent as our federal government, cheap to shoot. Range to wrol distance, and in a emergency situation.....laws are suspended....behind the ear of a deer.

+1 on a small light semi in 22lr. and a big box full of ammo.
And in shtf situation you would probably be better off with something to hunt small game. What are you going to do with a bear or deer when you are on the move and have no fridge/freezer etc.?

I've been thinking about this but more as a way to ensure I always have an all purpose rifle to shoot regardless of ammo shortages and a hostile government.

I've had both an SKS and T81. Honestly my BBQ paint Russian SKS is more accurate, the refurbs look gross but they all have new chrome lined barrels. T81 is a fun gun but the only advantage it has over an SKS is the cool factor. Otherwise they are heavy, the mags are clunky and the sight radius is abysmal.

I also think a bolt gun in 7.62x39 is the ultimate future proof utility rifle. The semi-autos were nearly banned and could still be banned in the future. So buy an SKS while you can but I'd want a handy bolt action too.

Bartok5, my friend, the guy talks about cheap ammo, while your suggestions are always awesome, most people don't have that much $$ to spend.

So SKS maybe in an Archangel stock and as a bolt action either a BCL MRX Bison or a Ruger Ranch, both in 7.62x39.

I've been thinking about this but more as a way to ensure I always have an all purpose rifle to shoot regardless of ammo shortages and a hostile government.

I've had both an SKS and T81. Honestly my BBQ paint Russian SKS is more accurate, the refurbs look gross but they all have new chrome lined barrels. T81 is a fun gun but the only advantage it has over an SKS is the cool factor. Otherwise they are heavy, the mags are clunky and the sight radius is abysmal.

I also think a bolt gun in 7.62x39 is the ultimate future proof utility rifle. The semi-autos were nearly banned and could still be banned in the future. So buy an SKS while you can but I'd want a handy bolt action too.

And trying to find a scope mount involves giving your first born away.

I also highly recommend the SBI mag release if you are using detachable mags on a SKS.

Another cool addition for a SKS is to shorten the barrel to 18.5 inches and put a muzzle brake on, looks cool.

Shotgun would be the best all around firearm since you can use shot for small game and birds and slugs for larger animals and protection, A 20ga is smaller and lighter and less recoil while fitting more ammo in the same space as a 12ga

For rifles you would need a 22lr for hunting small game for food and a 308 minimum for hunting bigger game and protection in Canada, A 223 just isn't as useful when you have to deal with Moose, Cariboo, Bears, larger deer

There are infinite variables that would determine what is "best". Bug in vs Bug out. what is the emergency etc.

I have an SKS that i bought cheap and considered getting a good profit on but changed my mind as its my SHTF Zombie apocalypse gun
I have a Ruger PCC in back packer that is my SHTF but i need to be discrete about things gun
I have a 20/22 mag O/U that is my SHTF and i'm trying to put any meat i can on the table gun (id rather a 22lr /12 ga O/U for ammo availability but this gun was free so..)

I have lots of other run of the mill guns that im sure would do fine in a pinch.

Each has its pro's and cons based on the specific circumstance. So bet bet is to get a good wide selection !!!

I think of it like Knife, Fork, Spoon - 12ga, 7.62x39(or 308), 22lr have one of each.

If you want something more concealable, Tavor 7 would fit the bill nicely.
Allthough a backpacker 10/22 would deffinitelly compliment your choice, as you could still hunt smaller game without attracting much attention to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom