Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I prepare new rifle for shooting?

How should I prepare new rifle for shooting?

Hi All

I've got 2 new rifles recently from store, not surplus ones. Both .308Win.

And now I'd like to find a good way how prepare them for an "adult life"

The question #1 is about initial cleaning before the very first shooting. After bore was cleaned with 1 or 2 dry patches - should I apply a little bit of oil after that - such as "Hoppe's 9 Black High-Performance Precision Oil" ?

The question #2 is about the barrel/bore hardening before the actual use. Asking because after googling this topic I found absolutely controversial opinions from like "no needs for that for a new modern rifles" to complicated scenarios where hardening should be done during the 2-3 days because of difficult procedure which consist from 3 cycles of shooting - 10 sessions by 1 round, 10 sessions by 3 rounds, and 10 sessions by 5 rounds with barrel cooling and bore cleaning after each session. I believe the truth somewhere in between.

I'd really appreciate if some one could share own knowledge and experience.

Thanks!!!

First thing when I do with a new gun is give it a thorough cleaning, get rid of the factory grease/oil and reapply some lubricant, check for function, then get to shooting. I strongly believe "barrel break in" to be nothing but an old wives' (fudd's?) tale, just like the ever popular "ammonia in Windex kills corrosive residue".

Get it clean, go outside, shoot a bunch, enjoy it.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Is a pretty big step for some - usually need to also acquire the tools needed to dismantle the arm, without damaging it - yesterday I removed a firing pin from a breech block - came out in two pieces - sketches and information say it should be a one piece firing pin - would not have known it was broken unless I dismantled it. So, I would suggest to go "wild and crazy" and actually read the booklet from the maker that came with your new rifle - will tell you at minimum what they thought you should be able to do for maintenance.

Probably want to purchase some cleaning supplies - sift through the marketing B.S. - likely a solid one piece cleaning rod, three or four bore brushes for it, and 50 or 100 patches for it. Probably some sort of solvent. You are not a "sniper" nor a high end "F" class shooter (yet), so do not get sucked into buying stuff alleged to make you into one - it will not do that - receiving some coaching, and then practicing and shooting that rifle will. But then you also will need to be able to clean it up, after - outside AND inside of it.

At least in "old days", makers would apply various "preservatives" to the rifle components so they would look good to sell. That may or may not have been the best performing "lubricant" for you to be using. But is well known that many rifles got a patch through the bore to clean out grease or oil in there, and then fired. Good enough.

It has probably been 50 years or so since I got a "first" rifle - so I probably have forgotten a lot of the excitement that would come with that. But keep that in perspective - maybe that new rifle is also the only one that you will ever own - take care of it, and it will likely do so, just fine. Versus some competitive type people that I know that have gone through dozens of actions and many dozens of barrels - they even managed to get some trophies over the years - both from competitions and from hunting animals. But that all comes with time, I suspect - from your post you are just starting. Your view towards that rifle will look different after your first 1,000 rounds sent down range.
    Last edited by Potashminer; 02-11-2023 at 04:44 PM.
    The DEVIL caught me with my head down, and thought he had won - until I said "AMEN"!

#1) Read the manual or instructions that came with the rifle.
    #2) Understand what the Manufacturer recommends that you do.
    #3) Shoot the rifle.

These threads tend to go crazy.
    I've found that dismantling and cleaning is a good way to remove all the factory gunk (usually takes a lot more than two dry patches, use cleaner and give her some), and also is a good way to learn the firearm. As others mention, it's also a good chance to see anything problematic, since you are inspecting and cleaning everything.

This what I have done lately:
    Due to the price of ammo I no longer do any shoot clean and repeat for "x" number of rounds.
    As others have said I read all the instructions that came with the rifle - remove all factory oil/grease - run patches through the bore - until they come out clean. I have the luxury of borescoping the barrel after I do this - then I use a bore cleaner paste and go back and forth about twenty times. Run a few patches until they come back clean - run a couple of patches with Hopps #9 - run a dry patch.

It may sound extensive but the barrel is clean hopefully removed any machining marks - go shoot the rifle don't get the barrel hot - if sighting in a scope - shoot three rounds (wait a few minutes between rounds) make scope adjustments - then shoot another three rounds - don't worry that the rounds are not touching each other - the goal is to get your gun on paper - shoot at 100 yards or further if you can - make final adjustments so the scope is shooting point of aim. If you have factory ammo - look at the box for trajectory data - you may need to be 1.4 inches high to be dead zero at 200. Keep in mind that most/all trajectory data is based on on 24 inch barrel and if yours is shorter ie: 22 inches you need to subtract about 75-125 fps

enjoy shooting

Hope this helps -

I don't think that you'd ever need more box of ammo to break in a barrel. One could probably do it with half a box, and it should be good. I'd clean the barrel for the first three shots, then shoot two and clean and shoot three and clean. Typically the bore should be good to go. Get a decent scope and have someone help you to dial the turrets for point of aim and adjustments. Once your rifle is dialed in you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Keep in mind most rifles prefer certain brands and bullet weights to shot their best. Keep your brass as you may want to re-load in the future.

Thank you all for shared info

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRoby View Post
    These threads tend to go crazy.
    I've found that dismantling and cleaning is a good way to remove all the factory gunk (usually takes a lot more than two dry patches, use cleaner and give her some), and also is a good way to learn the firearm. As others mention, it's also a good chance to see anything problematic, since you are inspecting and cleaning everything.
    Yep...and in the case of my FX9, it came bone dry, so I wasn't removing any excess grease - I was adding lubrication to it.

I agree that it is a good way to get familiar with the firearm. There are enough take down videos available, as a supplement to the instruction manual (I find the videos more helpful since oftentimes the firearm is presented at different angles for a particular takedown step) to learn different parts of the firearm. We are not talking taking the trigger apart, but just a standard basic field stripping as if to clean. The other advantage in doing this is you can check for things like things being loose (screws, etc.), any particular damage, anything possibly missing or looks like it's been monkeyed with (ie. it is a return).

I'm not sure if there is any break in type period. The aforementioned FX9 indicated to run only 115gr ammo through it of select manufacturers (which was listed in a piece of paper). Didn't say for how long. That's when it explicitly says so. The Benelli Super Vinci have had users (not from Benelli) suggest to run 3" or higher shells through it for an initial period before running lighter loads.

In any case, it is worth reading through the manual if at all possible to familiarize oneself with basic operation. For one of my guns the instructions explicitly stated in taking the bolt apart, to use to screwdriver to maintain a certain gap between two pieces. I didn't read the manual and of course the two pieces came together and I couldn't turn it to proceed with the takedown and had to eventually enlist the help of my son and both of us using pliers and a flat head to force that open up at which point I stuck that screwdriver in. Reading the manual would have saved me a lot of aggravation in that case.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Quote Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
    Yep...and in the case of my FX9, it came bone dry, so I wasn't removing any excess grease - I was adding lubrication to it.

I agree that it is a good way to get familiar with the firearm. There are enough take down videos available, as a supplement to the instruction manual (I find the videos more helpful since oftentimes the firearm is presented at different angles for a particular takedown step) to learn different parts of the firearm. We are not talking taking the trigger apart, but just a standard basic field stripping as if to clean. The other advantage in doing this is you can check for things like things being loose (screws, etc.), any particular damage, anything possibly missing or looks like it's been monkeyed with (ie. it is a return).

I'm not sure if there is any break in type period. The aforementioned FX9 indicated to run only 115gr ammo through it of select manufacturers (which was listed in a piece of paper). Didn't say for how long. That's when it explicitly says so. The Benelli Super Vinci have had users (not from Benelli) suggest to run 3" or higher shells through it for an initial period before running lighter loads.

In any case, it is worth reading through the manual if at all possible to familiarize oneself with basic operation. For one of my guns the instructions explicitly stated in taking the bolt apart, to use to screwdriver to maintain a certain gap between two pieces. I didn't read the manual and of course the two pieces came together and I couldn't turn it to proceed with the takedown and had to eventually enlist the help of my son and both of us using pliers and a flat head to force that open up at which point I stuck that screwdriver in. Reading the manual would have saved me a lot of aggravation in that case.
    Yes, gonna re-read manuals much for carefully now and paying a lot of attention to details. Actually tonight
    And found some very good videos.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast