Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing gun without physical card

Purchasing gun without physical card

I recently got my license issued and after calling the CFO, I was informed that due to a printing backlog my card won't come for at least 4 weeks. The lady however did give me my PAL number. I understand that most gun stores will need to have a physical copy of my card to sell to me. But could I purchase a firearm online with just my number since now I technically have my license issued?

Meh
    Last edited by devolut; 02-13-2023 at 08:34 PM.

Isn't the expiry date your birthday?

I would wait for the card. If something happens and you miss the deliver man and have to pick it up wouldn't that be against the law without the physical card in hand?
    "...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

VOTED SEPT 12 CPC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Technically you *could* buy guns online with just your PAL info. The expiration date will be your birthday, a minimum of 5 years from the date of issue.

But like LP said, being in possession of a firearm without a valid PAL could cause you some problems. Kinda like driving without your license or proof of insurance; you can have both of those things, but if you don't have them on you, they can ticket you.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

You can buy on line with # and expiry date but I think a retail store would probably decline without the card. Even if you bought the gun, you wouldn't be able to take it anywhere (range etc.) legally without the physical card and paper list of conditions.
    I recommend to just be patient wait for the card to arrive. You have waited this long, what's another couple weeks unless you are going to miss out on a huge sale or something...
    MEMBER CCFR,

I see so the law is that you can only leave take your guns anywhere if you have the actual card in your possession? I was not aware of this rule thank you for letting me know.

Ive bought ammo and guns before with a photo of my PAL, no way am I leaving it in my wallet and taking it everywhere across town.
    Check my post history to see my BRNO Mo. 3 Redux, and a 3D printed M1 Chassis for the Lil' Badger.
    https://julius-jahn.imgbb.com/

CGN frequent flyer BlackPowderBurner's Avatar
    There is no law or rule afaik demanding that you physically have your PAL card with you when in possession of a firearm. The card is just a physical demonstration that you are in fact the holder of a license issued by your CFO. Should a LEO find you in possession of a firearm without you having that proof in hand, there is an extremely high chance they will seize your firearm until you can prove you have a license, showing your card is the easiest way to do that.

Can you order a firearm with just your number online? YES! Would I be taking that gun to the range without my card? Probably not.
    Za naszą i waszą wolność.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    • 91 (1) Subject to subsection (4), every person commits an offence who possesses a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm or a non-restricted firearm without being the holder of
      • (a) a licence under which the person may possess it; and
      • (b) in the case of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm, a registration certificate for it.
    The word is "holder". Which actually means "owner" rather than in your hand. If upon request you fail to produce your authorization/ license / registration, a peace officer may seize your firearm. If you can provide the missing documentation within 14 days, your firearm will be returned to you. If not, you lose your gun.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast