Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKS, yes or no?

Hey thanks for all the quick replies! Is there any difference between chinese and russion surplus? Should I get one over the other if possible? Also, what makes certain ammo corrosive? Very new to this stuff.......

I have found the Russian stuff more accurate. I have used the Chinese stuff which does work but not my favourite. Primers have material in them that causes corrosion. I buy the red box stuff from Cabelas when on sale which is non corrosive. Shooting corrosive needs to be cleaned up with soap and water. Water dilutes and removes the corrosive material. Normal cleans don’t work. Dry and oil after cleaning. I usually check over the next few days for rust in the bore but hasn’t been a problem.
    I like the Russian rifles better than the Chinese.
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deathrawt's Avatar
    Some people like the Chinese better some prefer the Russian
    Go with what you like they both work equally as good
    The Chinese ones are a bit cheaper and there was a new batch of them that came in recently that were in new condition so there is that

From a purely fun and value factor, the SKS is superb. Rifle is reasonably affordable, ammo is cheap, firearm is extremely reliable, easy to clean, lots of different options for everyone from basic plinker to collector's condition. Some nice history attached to many rifles, and just something different from some of the run of the mill contemporary offerings. Don't expect to win precision shooting competitions with one, but for the fun factor, it is really hard to beat. Some choose to accessorize/sporterize it to make it look more modern. The shooting is relatively light recoil wise - it's like a 30-30 and even a short small statured guy like me has no problems handling and shooting it. The iron sights are great to learn shooting fundamentals, and did I mention the ammo is both plentiful and cheap? Using non-corrosive is a good start, or run corrosive and learn to clean and maintain the firearm. Most gunowners I know, of all stripes have at least one SKS in their safe; quite a few have multiple.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

YES get more than one if you can while you can. Don’t forget about the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zino18 View Post
    I am personally staying away from semi-autos right now. You might only have it for a short time before the supreme leader takes it away.
    Lots of people said similar sentiments after May 2020. But here we are and semi autos are both still legal and available. Those who decided to sit it out would have lost out on going on three years of enjoyment with the many models of semi auto non-restricteds out there. Don't give the government any credence in their fear mongering, or buy in to their threats.

Snider is right, buy what you want...

I bought guns to replace my AR15 just to have the replacements banned on Bill C21....

Hedging my bets and money on other guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrawt View Post
    Some people like the Chinese better some prefer the Russian
    Go with what you like they both work equally as good
    The Chinese ones are a bit cheaper and there was a new batch of them that came in recently that were in new condition so there is that
    I am not into the Chinese guns and am smitten with the earlier Russian ones, but did go last Fall to one of the LGS and check out the latest shipment of Chinese SKS. They are in absolutely amazing condition, and others have reported the same. For value in what you are getting, that's decent value.

One of the nice things about the SKS is that they are tried tested and true, with generations of owners of them who can vouch to their reliability and versatility.

Snider is right, buy what you want...

I bought guns to replace my AR15 just to have the replacements banned on Bill C21....

Hedging my bets and money on other guns!
    If you are referring to your replacement of your AR being a semi auto, the G4/G46 amendments were withdrawn so nothing is banned, other than the previous OIC list which they somehow threw in there as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    I am personally staying away from semi-autos right now. You might only have it for a short time before the supreme leader takes it away.
    Can't take what they don't know you have right?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast