Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKS, yes or no?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadan View Post
    Hey thanks for all the quick replies! Is there any difference between chinese and russion surplus? Should I get one over the other if possible? Also, what makes certain ammo corrosive? Very new to this stuff.......
    1) They are ALL surplus

2) The Russian tend to command a slightly higher value as the perception is that the OG manufacture does it best. But id pick a well maintained Chinese over a beat up Russian one any day. Its not that Chinese are perceived as bad. Many people here have Chinese SKS's that shoot fantastic

3) Corrosive ammo. In the primer of cheap army surplus ammo there is salt. What does salt to do to metal?? This doesn't hurt the gun at all as long as you clean it thoroughly right away. But if you are in a hurry and dont clean it, it can cause significant damage. I am a guy who's always pressed for time so I choose to spend a bit more and only shoot non-corrosive ammo. As of right now the best value non-corrosive is Norinco Red Box.

4) What hasn't been mentioned yet, are you keeping it original wood stock or are you looking at going tatticool? (i have one of each, I swing both ways and Justin says you cant judge me for it)
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

I would most likely keep it stock. Just putting out feelers for what would be the best third gun to add to my line up for fun.

If you do get one...start looking for a few of these too.

It's a war to remain healthy in a society that requires you to be sick. Russel Band

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    A nice thing about the SKS is that recoil is nothing to worry about. My partner shoots it all day long and never said a word. Pure fun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadan View Post
    I would most likely keep it stock. Just putting out feelers for what would be the best third gun to add to my line up for fun.
    Id get an SKS as 3rd gun and a 9MM PCC as your 4th gun

then you kinda have all the big NR categories covered
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

It was the first thing I purchased after getting my PAL. Barely used Chinese one, factory 26 manufactured 1978. Used a cheapo laser boresight to figure out if I'd be on paper before going to a range, found out the rear sight blade was a little crooked after getting it home (means the front post had to be drifted over quite far to shoot straight). Having mild OCD and being a tinkerer by nature I bought another rear sight for peanuts to tinker with and got it to go in straight, kept the original untouched. Quite pleased first trip to range, was almost bang on center, it operated flawlessly and it was a lot of fun.

If you're going in person to look just have a quick look at the sights, there's possibility of something being crooked or canted. You can still make them shoot straight that way but I would have asked to see another one had I known to look.

If it wasn't mentioned before, also make sure to watch some videos on how to tear it down and get all the cosmoline (greasy stuff) out of it if it needs it. The firing pin needs to be clean and move freely to be safe to use. A cheapo set of brass punches from about 1/16" to 1/2" comes in handy for knocking pins out without marking things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zino18 View Post
    I am personally staying away from semi-autos right now. You might only have it for a short time before the supreme leader takes it away.
    Pathetic

Buy sks and enjoy it

CGN Regular
    Just ordered one. I've been curious about these for years and somehow never owned one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast