Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SKS, yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by jinks67 View Post
    If it wasn't mentioned before, also make sure to watch some videos on how to tear it down and get all the cosmoline (greasy stuff) out of it if it needs it. The firing pin needs to be clean and move freely to be safe to use. A cheapo set of brass punches from about 1/16" to 1/2" comes in handy for knocking pins out without marking things up.
    A great point. One of my SKSes was not caked in cosmo, but the firing pin was completely seized (and unfortunately seized in the protruding position) to the point where I had to use pliers to take it out AFTER I took out the retaining pin. It was covered in this black stuff with a molasses type of consistency. I am glad I checked that before putting rounds through it otherwise it would have been slamfire heaven. Turns out that the trigger sear also seized after one subsequent shot (after the firing pin and channel were cleaned thoroughly). Turns out that the sear was seized from the same gunk, causing an inability for the trigger to reset.

Strangely the rest of the gun did not have any signs of cosmo or anything else. Regardless, lesson learned is always check the firing pin in particular and make sure that the bolt assembly rattles when shaken.
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Quote Originally Posted by jinks67 View Post
    It was the first thing I purchased after getting my PAL. Barely used Chinese one, factory 26 manufactured 1978. Used a cheapo laser boresight to figure out if I'd be on paper before going to a range, found out the rear sight blade was a little crooked after getting it home (means the front post had to be drifted over quite far to shoot straight). Having mild OCD and being a tinkerer by nature I bought another rear sight for peanuts to tinker with and got it to go in straight, kept the original untouched. Quite pleased first trip to range, was almost bang on center, it operated flawlessly and it was a lot of fun.

If you're going in person to look just have a quick look at the sights, there's possibility of something being crooked or canted. You can still make them shoot straight that way but I would have asked to see another one had I known to look.
    This is a very good point. One of my previous SKSs I bought not realizing at the front sight was all the way to the left (and I mean all the way - with the adjustment tool it wouldn't move any further). Turns out the issue was exactly as you stated with the rear sight blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmcc View Post
    Id get an SKS as 3rd gun and a 9MM PCC as your 4th gun

then you kinda have all the big NR categories covered
    That would be an excellent stable. It is interesting - I was watching a few videos of top 5 guns for Canadians, etc. and in it the SKS was always on the list (I think the others were a .22 - Cooey or something similar, a shotgun, a bolt action slightly larger caliber like a .308 and a Lee Enfield, of all things). I think a PCC or a intermediate cartridge based semi auto sporter would be a good selection as well.

My only regret about buying my SKSes is that I didn't buy them sooner, like a decade ago when I had the opportunity to, at a fraction of the price. Better late than never, I suppose.

CGN frequent flyer
    The unissued new Chinese ones are a great deal. Be wary of a refurb russian as a lot of the stocks are loose and they wobble.

Would absolutely recommend getting on if you haven't already, they make for great cheap shooters, even more so if you don't mind shooting corrosive ammo and cleaning the gun after every use. If you want to go a while longer between cleanings, non corrosive ammo is still widely available and fairly cheap.

+1 for Soviet metallurgy.

As for field stripping / cleaning, check out this amazing post from somewhere else on the forum: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...tion-*updated*

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234