Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Canadian Military Snow Shoes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Desjard's Avatar
    Tagged
    Yeah I support PPC
    Pierre Poilievre for Canada.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 53Izzy744's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU44 View Post
    I have used both modern and these shoes. The surplus shoes have more float and are easier to walk in. The tail keeps them straight and helps with float on soft snow. With the cables and little teeth, I never have an issue slipping, even on steep hills. The modern ones have plastic which slides, the crampons get plugged with soft snow and you then have a ski. Packed trails, modern shoes are great, anywhere else, go with a design that has worked for centuries. Did 7kms with mine last weekend, hope to get out again this weekend.
    Agreed! The sticky wet snow makes for big annoying bumps under your feet with the modern ones like you say. Although maybe more expensive, higher quality ones, don't have that problem - im not sure.
    Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    I will add, I have always broken rivets on modern shoes (260lbs). I have yet to break my surplus pair. It sucks when your 3kms back in the bush and you snap a bunch of deck rivets.
    I like guns....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 53Izzy744's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU44 View Post
    I will add, I have always broken rivets on modern shoes (260lbs). I have yet to break my surplus pair. It sucks when your 3kms back in the bush and you snap a bunch of deck rivets.
    No broken rivets yet but had a machine screw back out from my wife's pair. Odd considering it had a nylon lock washer on it.
    Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios

^^^there is a benefit to the old sinew shoes. No screws, no rivets.
    “Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” Sun Tzu, Art of War 475-221 B.C.

Can confirm, the magnesium from the tail can (with the right conditions and training) can be used to light fires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12