Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendation for First Gun or Guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Ribstaylor View Post
    Look into the GSG line of the German ww2 STG-44 and the MP40.
    Cool to see someone recommend the GSG STG44, this is something I wanted to pick up for my first 22. It seems like the black variant with wood stock isn't in stock (well, in new condition according to arsenal force) anymore though, just the tan versions.

For a grand I would go with a basic Ruger 10/22 Carbine 22lr and a SKS
    CSSA Member

Another vote for a .22LR bolt action. The ammo is cheap and if you are worried about recoil, there is really none. You can learn good fundamentals of shooting and with a decent scope, you would be encouraged with results which will just prod you to continue shooting. I started with a Savage Mark II-G, but now my go to .22 is a CZ 457. Very satisfying to shoot.

As for the SKS, recoil is really not a factor. I am pretty sure I am shorter and smaller than you are - I don't find the SKS uncomfortable, not in the least. And I own a few of them and have shot over 4,000 rounds through them. No issues. It is a fun gun to shoot and it may be a decent first gun because you are not using optics and have to use the built in sight and adjust accordingly - again good for first fundamentals development.

For me, the 30.06 is where the ouchies begin...
    CCFR, CSSA, NRA (Life), CPC, CHP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123