Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for First Gun or Guns?

Recommendation for First Gun or Guns?

Hey all! I just joined CGN earlier today and am looking for what you guys think would make a good first gun.

I haven't yet gotten my PAL, but I have a strong interest in the more historical, surplus rifles (Mosins, Kars, etc.)

In any case, let me know your recommendations

CGN Regular
    how much do you want to spend?

Pretty simple, really. Find something you like - or that you've always wanted - at a price you're willing to pay. If you're still unsure, you can post in the appropriate thread, about the piece you are contemplating buying and get the opinions of some of the most knowledgeable gun guys I know.
    - or just do what I do. I want one - I don't have one - the price is fair - I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramzzz View Post
    how much do you want to spend?
    Hmm, max would probably be around a grand.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    If your a new shooter start off with a .22 , bolt action is usually best . Low to no recoil helps in developing good habits , ie. no flinch . Good luck with whatever you decide !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deathrawt's Avatar
    Go with a mosin and an sks
    If you shop around you should be able to still get both of them for a grand
    It’s pretty sad to say but not long ago both could be had for 500 and under

I suggest a 22 LR (has to be a rifle these days with the ongoing unjust handgun transfer ban).

I never had a 22 LR bolt action but they are often recommended by experienced shooters. I don't think you could go wrong with a semi-auto or a lever as well. The semi-auto is potentially a bit more complicated, for example, some ammo may not cycle reliably in a given semi-auto rifle. But it's not too difficult to sort out. Lots of people start with a Ruger 10/22, but there are other good choices. Lever actions are also a lot of fun. I still regularly shoot mine. I have a Marlin but I've heard good things about the Henry 22 levers.

Because the ammo is still cheaper than other cartridges, 22 is the best way to get in lots of practice.
    If God didn't want holsters to be leather, he wouldn't have made so many damn cows.

First rifle? How about a Lever Action in 22LR. Ideally spend less than $600, a Henry or a Rossi perhaps. Why? Because they don't massively benefit from extra accessories (so the sticker price is the price), widely available, reliable, satisfying enough to persist with, accurate enough to improve techniques, fast enough to shoot rapidly, mag capacity is as good as things get, cheap enough ammo to shoot as much as you want, no recoil, can be quiet enough to not always wear ears, purposeful manual action, timeless, unpolitical, beautiful aesthetics. If it was the only rifle maybe not, but the first, sure why not?

Edit: sorry missed your point about historical surp ... I enjoy when owners tell the backstory of a piece, so the richer a history the better perhaps?
    Last edited by joemanco; 03-10-2023 at 02:11 AM.

CGN Regular
    i was considering the SKS as my first gun but i wasnt sure if i could handle the recoil of that as my first gun

ended up picking the ruger PCC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 53Izzy744's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunNoob123 View Post
    i was considering the SKS as my first gun but i wasnt sure if i could handle the recoil of that as my first gun

ended up picking the ruger PCC
    Put a recoil pad on it and chop away, sks is one of the funnest guns available to us
    Sweet songs never last too long on broken radios

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast