Thread: First Rifle

First Rifle

Hey guys im sure this is a FAQ but I'm partially posting as I need to make 3 posts to join the EE forum.
    My question is what is a good beginner rifle with somewhat cheap ammo. I'm looking at a few options right now some examples being a SMLE mk3 and a Henry Classic .22. The draw with the Henry being cheap ammo and it would give me lots of trigger time for a lower cost than the .303 LE.
    any recommendations?
    Thanks

Nothing wrong with the SMLE Mk 3. The British WWI & WWII Enfield are my all-time favourite rifles - but, as you say, the Henry Classic .22 is way cheaper and much less expensive to feed. I would go with the majority and suggest that a .22 is pretty much always the best choice for a first gun - for the reasons you've already mentioned.

Start with the Henry. Get the SMLE after - at your convenience. Everyone should have (at least) one .22lr in their collection. Full disclosure, I have 2 but I sold my first after not shooting it for a year.

Super GunNutz MilitaryCollectorMark's Avatar
    Start with a .22 ammo is cheap and you can find it most places. 303 is going to be quite a bit more.
    More guns! We need more guns!!!!
    Finally found a LH 6.5x55 :D Woot!!!!

Proud left hander!

You’ll spend more on ammo than the rifle after about 80 rounds haha. That’s for the enfield anyways. Frontier firearms has a PILE of used rifles for sale right now under $500. Mostly 30-06 and 6.5x55. Ammo is more readily available for those.. as for .22 just keep buying whenever you see it! I’ve bought like 2,000 rounds since Christmas and haven’t even shot 1..
    Everything I post is strictly my opinion.
    Don’t watch me while I’m doin stuff.
    You can vote your way into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

The Henry 22 is a great rifle. Fun action, lever action slows you down to force you to learn trigger control vs a semi-auto and of course it's inherently bad ass. Plus you get lever action fun at a fraction of the cost ( and far more availability than a 30-30 cartridge )

CGN Regular
    .22 is good as a start. I have a Henry and love it - I would start with one of those.

But.... if you want more BANG!! had you considered 7.62 x 39? That's the caliber for SKS / AK47 rifles - but there are many bolt action rifles available in this caliber too.

.22 = 10c a shot
    7.62 x 39 = 30c a shot if you shoot military surplus. $1 a shot for hunting suitable ammo.
    .303 = $1++ a shot.

It's a nice intermediate caliber which you can use for hunting most things except elk, moose and brown bear and wont break the bank.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I posed this list before in a similar thread

Here is a list of common, reasonably priced and historically reliable in each of the big categories
    just like cars or clothes or women, everyone has a personal preference in these categories that may not be here

22LR Semi- Ruger 10/22 (ill let others give feedback on a good entry bolt 22LR)
    9MM PPC - Ruger PCC9
    .223/5.56 - WK180 Gen 2
    7.62x39 - SKS
    308 - Remington 700 (also comes in many other calibers)
    12 GA - Mossberg 500 or Winchester 870
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.