Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good choice for first firearm?

Good choice for first firearm?

Hello all,

As i patiently wait for my license to get issued I'm starting to research which firearm to purchase, I'm looking for something to last a long time and is relatively reliable. Is the Kodiak Defence 9mm KD9-NSR Semi-Auto a good firearm and would you recommend it? or would you go with a hi-point carbine to get started and then move onto to the kodiak?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by plottwistt View Post
    Hello all,

As i patiently wait for my license to get issued I'm starting to research which firearm to purchase, I'm looking for something to last a long time and is relatively reliable. Is the Kodiak Defence 9mm KD9-NSR Semi-Auto a good firearm and would you recommend it? or would you go with a hi-point carbine to get started and then move onto to the kodiak?

Thank you.
    If you want something that lasts a long time I would strongly suggest looking at something made by a more reputable company. If you like the KD9-NSR, take a look at the Freedom Ordinance FX9. Problems have long been sorted out and they are very reliable. I picked one up this summer and put around 3500 rounds through it. No issues at all !
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Welcome to the sport! For a first firearm, a semi auto .223 wouldn't be what I'd suggest. Would depend on your experience level. If you've never shot a gun or have only minimal experience, something like a bolt action .22 would be my suggestion. Would allow for tons of practice for relatively little $ (talking ammo) and teach you the fundamentals in a platform that doesn't cost a ton, is easy to clean, simple to work on, etc. A Savage B-Series if buying new on a budget, perhaps a CZ457 if it's in your range. You can find more/less expensive options for sure. Don't cheap-out on the scope, and not all scopes are well-suited to 22s.

^that's the advice I've always given when asked the question...our current political climate being what is is, maybe the semi to start...lock it up, get a 22 and practice practice! Speaking of your semi options, unless you want some ability to hunt or shoot long range...you might consider one of the "PCC"/pistol caliber carbines. Cheaper to feed, and simple blow-back actions to clean. The Ruger PC9s are good, FX-9 looks like an AR..?

I went with a Savage B22 in .22lr to start, the one that comes with the cheapy scope. I also picked up a Winchester SX4 as I'm also planning to hunt.... No regrets so far.

Quote Originally Posted by plottwistt View Post
    Hello all,

Thank you.
    I have been wondering the exact same thing, while I play the waiting game .. lol

I am eagerly following your post, hoping for some insight
    CARL

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Here is a list of common, reasonably priced and historically reliable in each of the big categories
    just like cars or clothes or women, everyone has a personal preference in these categories that may not be here

22LR Semi- Ruger 10/22
    9MM PPC - Ruger PCC9
    .223/5.56 - WK180 Gen 2
    7.62x39 - SKS
    12 GA - Mossberg 500 or Winchester 870
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

Quote Originally Posted by .22LRGUY View Post
    Welcome to the sport! For a first firearm, a semi auto .223 wouldn't be what I'd suggest. Would depend on your experience level. If you've never shot a gun or have only minimal experience, something like a bolt action .22 would be my suggestion. Would allow for tons of practice for relatively little $ (talking ammo) and teach you the fundamentals in a platform that doesn't cost a ton, is easy to clean, simple to work on, etc. A Savage B-Series if buying new on a budget, perhaps a CZ457 if it's in your range. You can find more/less expensive options for sure. Don't cheap-out on the scope, and not all scopes are well-suited to 22s.

^that's the advice I've always given when asked the question...our current political climate being what is is, maybe the semi to start...lock it up, get a 22 and practice practice! Speaking of your semi options, unless you want some ability to hunt or shoot long range...you might consider one of the "PCC"/pistol caliber carbines. Cheaper to feed, and simple blow-back actions to clean. The Ruger PC9s are good, FX-9 looks like an AR..?
    I agree.. Your first firearm should be a .22LR.. fun to shoot and a great way to learn with out breaking the bank.
    Lets go Brandon!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer shredder's Avatar
    Can't go wrong with a bolt-action .22LR. Inexpensive, easy to shoot, CHEAP (relatively speaking) to shoot, and IMHO by far the best to learn things like sight alignment and trigger squeeze.
    Justin Trudeau:

Liar, Thief, Hypocrite.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmcc View Post
    Here is a list of common, reasonably priced and historically reliable in each of the big categories
    just like cars or clothes or women, everyone has a personal preference in these categories that may not be here

22LR Semi- Ruger 10/22
    9MM PPC - Ruger PCC9
    .223/5.56 - WK180 Gen 2
    7.62x39 - SKS
    12 GA - Mossberg 500 or Winchester 870
    ^my list of generic/can't-go-wrong would be very similar minus the semis. I think they're overpriced for what you get and get undeserved attention from the gun-grabbers in Ottawa. I know, discouraging/party-pooper thing to consider..but it's my personal preference anyway and I'd rather have guns I can use. Just my take, semis ARE fun-no doubt about it. I never suggest 10/22s though, fun plinkers but that's about it. (my experience owning 1 new one, shooting several others)

I'm on coffee break anyway, so I'll throw my version up. I'll put top pick first+ an option or two

22LR: Tikka T1x, CZ457 (Varmint or American), Savage B-22
    9mm: Ruger PC9
    .223: Tikka T3x Varmint/Tikka T3x CTR, Savage 10
    X39: SKS
    12ga: Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 (500 is lighter for long carries/870 gets the nod for easier cleaning=both excellent)

Good luck OP!

Quote Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
    I agree.. Your first firearm should be a .22LR.. fun to shoot and a great way to learn with out breaking the bank.
    My father never owned a 22 LR ever in his life and hes a excellent shooter. I didnt own a 22 till my 3rd gun. I don't think it was because of the cost. You could buy 308 and 45 for cheap back then. Its comes down to what you can afford or want to spend.

22 isnt that great because it's cheap and you're more likely to just blast, than actually learn. You tend to grip the firearm lighter than centerfire.

Then you get cheap ammo that doesn't group. What does that teach you?

Other than the looks, I found the Hi Point very reliable and accurate.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast