.first shotgun

Low budget shotgun = generally low quality ! Spend a little more and get something that will last . My go to is a Remington 870 , can start off with a basic mod. and if you like it can be dressed up , wood to synthetic , to collapsible , extended mag tube just some examples . 12 / 20 / 410 , 16 ga if you can find one , lots of choices out there ! Love my 410 for birds , although I'd advice a novice shooter to stay away from one till they get some experience under their belt ! Good luck with whatever you go with .

i asked this question a few yrs ago, I got lots of replies but here is the summary

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500
Find a place that you can hold both of them in your hands and see how they fit. Then decided based on fit and price

also see if you can get a Combo barrel deal. You can change the barrels quite easily on both and that will expand the types of hunting you can do with it
You can always buy it later though so don't stress if you cant find it

Last edited:
Pick up a Maverick 88 by Mossberg. They're cheap, but can take the abuse and the 28" barrel can take Accu-chokes.

One even survived the 500 round torture test.

What do you consider cheap? Price rang with a cap would make it much easier to suggest a type. My go to is the wonderfully built Browning BPS. I recommend it to anyone who wants a shotgun that will last a lifetime and is built like a tank. But it isn't the cheapest on the market at around $1000. If cheaper then that is needed nothing wrong with the suggestion others have made of a Mossberg. Besides buying cheap Turkish pump actions, Mossberg is the big budget player in my opinion.

i asked this question a few yrs ago, I got lots of replies but here is the summary

Winchester 870 or Remington 500
Find a place that you can hold both of them in your hands and see how they fit. Then decided based on fit and price

also see if you can get a Combo barrel deal. You can change the barrels quite easily on both and that will expand the types of hunting you can do with it
You can always buy it later though so don't stress if you cant find it

No such animal as a Remington 500 ! Think you got your #'s and manufactures mixed up !

Mossberg maverick or Remington 870 express for lowest budget, then a mossberg 500 or Remington 870. I too would stay away from Turkish built budget shotguns if you want a reliable gun to last a lifetime. The BPS can be had for around 700 if you are a lefty or just want a slightly nicer firearm.
Those would be my picks under 1000 dollars.

I've owned just about all of the cheapies, although the standards the mossy 500 and the rem 870 ain't that cheap anymore. If you are thinking about a 12 gauge, the one that fit me best, was easy to carry and handle was the Maverick 88. Can still be had very cheap too. Rugged, fugly and works good.

Yup, my first shotgun ever was a Remington 870 Express 20ga youth model. Still have it and shot some slugs through it last week. It was a reminder of that factory rubber buttpad having the consistency of a hockey puck that makes me happy to have Benellis now.

Echo the comments with the 870 and Mossberg 500/590 series. Can't really go wrong with either for a first shotgun. It won't break the bank, and are easy to use. I heard there were some QC issues with the 870s circa 2010 and later, but not sure about that. Mine I bought originally 2005/2006 and it has been fine.

Back
Top Bottom