Thread: hot loads in older shotguns

hot loads in older shotguns

Got my hands on an old Mossberg 195 12ga bolt action shotgun manufactured between 1955 - 1958.
    I want to use it for deer hunting but I'm concerned with what loads these older shotguns can handle does the 1300-1400FPS range sound about right for the upper limit?

My biggest concern is the bolt flying back into my face even though these Mossbergs were known for being built like tanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    totally out to lunch sorry. learnt something new
    Last edited by SigWig; 03-23-2023 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SigWig View Post
    Not sure but how long is your chamber? A 3" (physical measurement) chamber should only shoot 2 3/4" round so the crimp has room to unfold. To shoot 3" rounds you need 3 1/4" chamber
    My chamber is meant fit for 2.75" shotshells. My main question is if shotshells with higher velocity produces more chamber pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by SigWig View Post
    Not sure but how long is your chamber? A 3" (physical measurement) chamber should only shoot 2 3/4" round so the crimp has room to unfold. To shoot 3" rounds you need 3 1/4" chamber
    Incorrect information. A 3” 12 gauge shell measures 3” expanded after firing. A 3” chamber accommodates this as well as the 2 3/4” empty ( which measures 2 3/4” after firing) with no constriction and there is a short tapered forcing cone ahead of the chamber that tapers from chamber diameter to barrel diameter. Your old Mossberg if in good condition will nicely handle current ammo of the chamber length marked on the gun. No need for magnum ammo for deer, not a grizzly or elephant. Dead is dead.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar

A shotgun made in the late 1950s is not old, the SAAMI specs take this type of gun into account. That being said, if you have the adjustable choke there may be concerns about the choke with slugs.

It always drives me crazy when people say "Only shoot low brass shells, that gun is old", sorry but many target low brass loads actually have higher pressure than buckshot and slug loads, the low brass does not define the pressure generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    A shotgun made in the late 1950s is not old, the SAAMI specs take this type of gun into account. That being said, if you have the adjustable choke there may be concerns about the choke with slugs.

It always drives me crazy when people say "Only shoot low brass shells, that gun is old", sorry but many target low brass loads actually have higher pressure than buckshot and slug loads, the low brass does not define the pressure generated.
    Correct, the height of the brass, velocity and shot charge weight are not indicative of pressure, many low brass target loads are near maximum pressure, especially in smaller gauges. However the high brass loads, usually incorporated heavy payloads and/or high velocity regardless of pressure and will usually produce increased recoil and more strain on the gun.