Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme Longrange

Quote Originally Posted by peterdobson View Post
    Does anyone have experience in reloading ATips in this calibre? We don't have any Bergers but have ATips and ELD Match.

We are putting together some .338 LM and 300 NM rifles for ELR, as hopefully there will be a match sometime at Gagetown.

We can test locally. Should be fun and and interesting learning curve.

Regards,

Peter
    I haven't tried the 30 cal A-Tips or ELD match but I did try the 338 cal 300gr A-Tip. However it didn't perform as well as my 300gr Bergers. But every gun is different, and it really comes down to your loading data and the brand of powder you guys are using. FYI: You might want to try full copper bullets as well if you are trying to reach 2000 yards or beyond, they can achieve the same if not a better BC with a lighter bullet. A 265gr badland 338 cal copper bullet has more BC than the 300gr Berger, so you can get more speed and extend your super-sonic distance out to about 2100yds before it turns into sub.

300 Norma Mag with 225gn ELD-M and Retumbo out of a 28" Krieger shot effectively to 2100m for me and everything in between at the Nightforce Steel Challenge. Shot a 338LM with Berger 250gn Hybrid TAC's and H4831 out of a 20" AI bbl the year before also with great effectiveness to the same distances. I don't think I'd splurge for the A-Tips given the results I've had with ELD-M's and Berger Hybrids. ELD-M's are a great bullet and currently much cheaper than anything else and often much more available.

Great thread.

Business Member
    barry.s, this is beneficial information - thanks! We have a lot of reloading experience, but loaded .338LM when only the 250 gr. Lapua Scenar and Lockbase were available.

Getting close to having builds done and will then start loading and testing.

Regards,

Peter
    http://www.hirschprecision.com/

I like to buy bullets based on what is available in quantity and Hornady does a great job keeping us all stocked up with ELD-M's! I like the 300 Norma a lot better because brass is nearly half the cost and bullets a lot cheaper too and it does out run the 338 cal bullets starting at about 1700m. And aside from the occasional match setting, how often do we get to shoot that far????????? All in the name of a little fun eh guys and gals!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    If you can get them in, the 220 LRHTs are great in a .300NM using N570. That's what I've run but have never stretch them past 1850 yds or so.

CGN frequent flyer
    Hi Peter

I posted in the reloading forum re-posted here minus the picture

No direct experience, but after you asked i did some searching.

Atip 250gn powder most commonly mentioned V570 charge weights 87gn jumping (with near .400 freebore) the usual caveats apply. work up the load

The 250 Atips will be a dedicated system... too much freebore for 215-230 class bullets

Cheers

CGN Regular
    Drooling over the thought of a 300NM!!
    Lots seem to improve the 300NM (P+). I rarely here the cartridge discussed on Canadian forums. Would like to shoot one out to 2000+, exciting! One day I will have one.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pescado View Post
    Drooling over the thought of a 300NM!!
    Lots seem to improve the 300NM (P+). I rarely here the cartridge discussed on Canadian forums. Would like to shoot one out to 2000+, exciting! One day I will have one.
    Good luck.
    Insite Arms has the 300 Norma Mag Improved reamer.
    CCFR member

Quote Originally Posted by peterdobson View Post
    Thanks Steve. Is special throating required?

Peter
    I was wondering the same thing.
    CCFR member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12