Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Duckling Gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    "Ugly Duckling" Now that's truth in advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Meroh View Post
    Rechamber to 9.3 x 62? 98 comercial Mauser Action (FN I think), or rebarrel to something else. Mauser action for <$200.00. Guys have no imagination anymore. LOL
    Too many people buying a Savage Axis to bother spending a couple bucks to build a rifle.

I like the idea, but I want a 35 Whelen, and too many expenses at home at the moment

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpire View Post
    A franken rifle in a goat boy caliber? No thanks!
    The 9,3x57r was a very popular round in the northern Baltic even up to the turn of the last century

CGN Regular
    Rechamber to 9.3 x 62? 98 comercial Mauser Action (FN I think), or rebarrel to something else. Mauser action for <$200.00. Guys have no imagination anymore. LOL
    True that. Intersurplus has lots of 9.3/62 and 30-06 barrels for dirt cheap. Its funny that everyone is all ga-ga over the new blackout (8.6?) when you can take this, fireform 8x57 brass (just like when you are really stretching anything out, make sure you use lots of lube) and then download it to get the same performance. At the least you are getting a great squirrel gun.

Does anyone with a mauser 98 even use the safety? Again, i think its under $20 to get the parts from Denis.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymund View Post
    The 9,3x57r was a very popular round in the northern Baltic even up to the turn of the last century
    He's from calgary, don't mind him (yes, thats a legitimate excuse).

Definitely a 96, bolt shroud and extraction camming surfaces are different. The cocking piece looks to be ground down

CGN Regular
    The stock fore-end has the bulge at the end thats very common on the stiga M96. Not sure if its common on all m96, but on my 2 stigas the metal seems to be a better quality, no blemishes or blueing loss, even though they are both 100+ years old (my m98s definitely show the wear more). Pretty common to loose the safety lever so it clears the scope. Although you can get a different profile one to clear it, thats more commonly available for the 98. Treat it like a glock (the safety is not pulling the trigger).Or use higher rings.

Is rechambering to 9.3x74r an option? I still have ammo left over from a different abandoned project...
    "I probably don't know half as much about this as I think I do."

Quote Originally Posted by Deadringer View Post
    The stock fore-end has the bulge at the end thats very common on the stiga M96. Not sure if its common on all m96, but on my 2 stigas the metal seems to be a better quality, no blemishes or blueing loss, even though they are both 100+ years old (my m98s definitely show the wear more). Pretty common to loose the safety lever so it clears the scope. Although you can get a different profile one to clear it, thats more commonly available for the 98. Treat it like a glock (the safety is not pulling the trigger).Or use higher rings.
    High rings, and some filing and you can make the wing safety work

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoB View Post
    no safety no thanks is it really legal to sell with out a safety???
    I can't believe no one else posted it yet... you have left me no choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast