Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle build caliber for deer in Quebec

Rifle build caliber for deer in Quebec

Hi guys,

I just joined the forums and have recently acquired a nice little .22 for plinking with mates. Ultimately I want to hunt deer this fall and I'd like to build a rifle for that and general sport shooting. I've been a machinist for 14 years and I have a fully equiped home shop (Lagun FTV 40 taper mill, Voest 13" x 60" lathe, TIG etc). I would have liked something in 5.56/.223 but I read that the minimum caliber here in Quebec is .243. I'd like to hunt on the ground in the bush as opposed to a tree stand or blind so thinking something relatively compact like a Ruger Ranch would be the go. Another factor is that I'm left eye dominant and right handed so a red dot might fit the bill here. There's also this semi-auto thing that makes me want to build a WK 180 or similar. Allll that to say, is there anything else other than the rifles mentioned that I should be looking out for on the used market? At this stage my plan would be to rebarrel the chosen 5.56/.223 rifle in 300 BLK.

Cheers,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Bolt action well I would maybe start with a military surplus rifles .Depending on caliber they are cheaper to shoot . There are plenty to choose from all are good for deer .
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    Big question, how open are you to calibers that may be hard to find? Either equipping yourself to reload, or be willing to order in a case of ammo to supply yourself for years?

If you insist that you be able to walk into Canadian Tire to pick up a box of ammo on short notice, that cuts you to just a few calibers.
    --BattleRife

Thanks buzzmagoo, I had looked into mill surp rifles but the ability to mount an optic that pairs well with cross eye dominance deterred me from a lot of them. I would love a Swiss straight pull. I guess ultimately there is always time and money to be spent setting up each rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Aussie Battler and Buzz Magoo are likely neighbours and don't know it!

Welcome and have fun here!
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

I've definitely considered reloading. I'm not entirely opposed to it. I nearly bought a Swiss K11 carbine before I got the .22 and factored in that I'd probably end up reloading if I went that route. I like the fact that a 300BLK rifle can be built from a .223 with just a barrel change. And that ammo seems relatively easy to come by for now. I'm currently looking at Troy PARs on YT. The search continues!

Update! I bought a Swiss K11. It's been sporterized so I'm going to machine up a pic rail and mount a cheap red dot and see how I like it. Thanks guys

The Ruger Ranch is definitely a great choice for a compact hunting rifle, and 300 BLK is a solid caliber choice for deer hunting. As for other rifles to consider, some popular options for hunting and sport shooting include the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, and Savage 110. All of these rifles are available in various calibers, including .243, and can be customized and upgraded to suit your needs.

In terms of the red dot sight, it's definitely a good option for someone who is left eye dominant and right handed. Some popular red dot sights include the Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint PRO, and Vortex Venom, **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**. You may also want to consider a magnified optic for longer-range shots.

As for building a WK 180 or similar, that could definitely be a fun project, but keep in mind that the WK 180 is restricted in Canada and requires a special license to own. You'll want to make sure you're familiar with all of the regulations and requirements before starting a build like that.

Ruger Ranch is a great gun, but its legality is still sore in some countries, even in the vicinity of the US, which still do not allow certain weapons to be used.

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Quote Originally Posted by Thavers View Post
    The Ruger Ranch is definitely a great choice for a compact hunting rifle, and 300 BLK is a solid caliber choice for deer hunting. As for other rifles to consider, some popular options for hunting and sport shooting include the Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, and Savage 110. All of these rifles are available in various calibers, including .243, and can be customized and upgraded to suit your needs.

In terms of the red dot sight, it's definitely a good option for someone who is left eye dominant and right handed. Some popular red dot sights include the Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint PRO, and Vortex Venom, Duck Life. You may also want to consider a magnified optic for longer-range shots.

As for building a WK 180 or similar, that could definitely be a fun project, but keep in mind that the WK 180 is restricted in Canada and requires a special license to own. You'll want to make sure you're familiar with all of the regulations and requirements before starting a build like that.
    Lol restricted wk180..
    Everything I post is strictly my opinion.
    Don’t watch me while I’m doin stuff.
    You can vote your way into communism, but you’ll have to shoot your way out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast